T5 Nova Extreme Actnic Lights Blinking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanphyre

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am having an issue with my 36" T5 Nova Extreme. The Actnic lights blink on and off and it is driving me crazy. I have to twist the bulbs until they stop blinking, then the next day that they turn on they are blinking again. Have to do this everyday and it's annoying.

Have had the fixture for about 2 1/2 years with no issues until a couple weeks ago. I thought it was maybe the lights (needed to replace anyways), replaced them, and the issue still remains. The 10K daylight bulbs still work flawless.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I hate to have to buy an entirely new fixture as it's really expensive.

Try cleaning the bulb contacts ( WITH THE POWER OFF) with a pencil eraser. It could be the connectors or the ballast is failing.

Last edited:
No luck, but thanks Ezy33. Wondering if I need a new Ballast. It's wierd how the bulbs sit loosely in the ends, they can spin rather easily. :( Only the Actnics, the daylight bulbs sit nice and tight.

No luck, but thanks Ezy33. Wondering if I need a new Ballast. It's wierd how the bulbs sit loosely in the ends, they can spin rather easily. :( Only the Actnics, the daylight bulbs sit nice and tight.

I was going to say your ballast could be going bad? but you beat me to your own problem....LOL (y) but your end sounds like they asre wearing thin because of the heat I would see if you could replace the end caps and see what happens....

Check the ceramic connectors, they may be cracked. That happened to mine. I believe the reason it happened to me was I changed the bulbs right after lights out (when it was still hot) and I cracked a couple of them.

id say the bulb needs replaced i had the same problem with my nova and i change the bulb and it quit

but then again it could be the ballast idk lol

Back
Top Bottom