t5 to led upgrade question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erichm20

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I bought two tao dimmable led panels and retrofit them into a new hood to replace my quad t5 HO fixture. I did the switch about 2 weeks ago and the lights are about 8 inches from the surface of the water and the tank is 21" deep (75 G). I started with the lights dimmed all the way down and it pretty much matches the intesity of the T5s. At least it looks like it matches the intensity I'm sure its more intense on a PAR basis.

My question is for anyone that has gone from the 4 x 54W t5s to LEDs- how long should I wait to start turning them up, and then as I do by how much?

I ask because a couple days ago I added a birdsnest frag that I picked up and put it on a frag rack about 6" from the SB and decided to turn the dimmer slightly to increase the light, maybe 1 of the dots on the knob. The next day a galaxea rock on the SB was fried... but nothing else in the tank looked bad- not even mushrooms or zoas that are higher than the galaxea. I plan to do a different thread on the coral because I suspect this may be something else. This thread is more for sharing experiences for people upgrading or switching lights and proper acclimation procedures.

The colors this thing produces are rediculous by the way- even turned all the way down the tank looks way better than the t5s.

Well I guess I'll just do it slowly and monitor the coral and adjust accordingly. Thanks for the interesting comments! Lol

I am going through the same process- migrating from T5HO to LEDs. I have the Vegas and I have the system set up to increase my intensity every week for 3 weeks. At the end, my whites will be at 50% and my blues at 99% intensity. I have one coral on the sand bed that is still burning through the process- favia coral. All others are doing great. I need to find a shaded area for my favia. I am about 2 weeks thru the acclimation process.

When i changed over i tried to match the old lights as close as i could then started turning them up 10% every 3 days Im now at 60% white and 100% blue my coral growth has never been better.

I would move it up a notch a week. Galaxia are pretty resilient. You won't see evidence of bleaching in one or two days.

Cool good to know that's quicker than I thought but I'm glad bc I wanna see these blues turned up!

The favias are doing good both are pretty low one I've been nursing back from a skeleton is on a rock on the sb loves the new light

I wish I could've swung AIs... Tough to explain a $1000 purchase for what my wife now calls " that dam Fish tank" plus I'm now looking at reactors and a skimmer upgrade... I've resigned to the fact that it never ends lol

I'm happy with how everything is responding with all soft and lps corals I expected more bleaching. The plays and Zoas have taken off!
I can't wait to start adding some sps I love the way acros look {wanders off to divers den to oggle}...

Back
Top Bottom