T5 vs LED for Freshwater Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trail_Mix

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know there is another thread on this, but I felt like it was mostly dealing with saltwater aquariums, and I just want a simple answer. I plan on setting up a new planted freshwater tank that will require high light. Which should I go with and why? Thanks!

If you're willing to build the fixture yourself, it's hard to beat LED. Check out the LED link in my signature to see my high-light planted tank using LEDs.

Here's my list of reasons to go LED:

1. Energy savings - I'm using 30W of LEDs on my 20H. I'd have to use two or three times the wattage if I was using T5HO lights to achieve the same results.

2. No bulb replacement - LEDs last much longer than T5HO bulbs. My LEDs are rated for to put out at least 70% of their original output for 50,000 hours.

3. Flexibility - LEDs are small and don't require reflectors, so you can creatively pack a lot of light into tight spaces. You can also pull off cool sunrise/sunset effects if you're good with microcontrollers.

4. Spectral output - Plants like red and blue light. LEDs don't put out much light in the yellow-green spectrum that algae likes and plants don't.

Back
Top Bottom