T5 vs MH.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canyon15

Aquarium Advice Freak
I can't make sense of some of the info i have been reading about T5. From what I am reading T5 is as good if not better. I understand the heat issue with MH. How high should the MH be above the water line and/ or a glass cover? Any input would be appreciated.

I have neither but I think how high above your tank for the MH`s depends on the depth of you tank. I`m going to move this to the proper forum.

I have MH and I keep them 8" above tank. Temp swings at this height for me are about 2 degrees.

I own a HO T-5 and am very satisfied. It's a double tube 24" 48 watt fixture. It's cooler running than compact flourescents and metal halide. It does not require a cooling fan and the bulbs are less expensive, but you won't get the output as you would an MH fixture.

My tank is 18" tall. Packagerat, do you have your mh under a hood on a pendant? i am looking into gettin a carpet anemone and some sps. I want to insure i am providing the best light to them. thanks for all the input. Keep it coming!

Back
Top Bottom