T5 vs other lighting options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've come to the realization with a 100 gal, 60" wide tank I'll probably have to build my own canopy/fixture and use some sort of retro kit if I decide to go with flourescents. There just don't seem to be a lot of options for a 60" tank and those pre-built fixtures I've seen are waaaay overpriced. MH pendents are still a consideration but the T5's look really promising as a cheaper alternative. Apparently highly popular in Europe and just now catching on in the states.

Some of the articles I've been reading have really played up the advantages of T5 bulbs such as smaller size (fit more into a hood), double light output, far less power consumption because they run only off electronic ballasts and far greater life (up to 2 years) and much cooler operating temps.

Anyone have experience with T5's???

I dont have experience with T5's, but i would have to say that halides and VHOs r the way to go. Even though it gets pricey, you can't beat them for reef tanks. Your corals will look 100% times better than with any other lighting.

Back
Top Bottom