t8 t5 lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you mean two fixtures, yes. just takes up lots of room on the top of the tank

I've just got t8 lights and I was just wondering if I can have one t8 and one t5
If you're attempting to run 1 t5 and 1 t8 in the same fixture....I would steer clear of that....its prob doable but then again it could cause some problems as well

Why? The whole point of T5 is that they are more efficient. T8 is some home depot bulb. The light depends upon a ballast to function and usually drive bulbs in pairs. If you just have a bulb and are trying to make it work, it probably won't.

probably the most random question on here dan lol and your a sparky! haha why would u want both ? i thought u were happy just having soft corals.

The "T" designation is only the diameter of the bulb. So if both bulbs are regular output (not high output - T5HO) yes, you can use both in the same fixture.

The T number is the diameter of the tube, but the ballasts are designed for a certain tube.The wattages are different in the different tubes. They may light or not, they may work correctly, although likely not. Is the pin spacing not different on the T5 from the T8?

Ballasts are rated for wattage. Yes they are different pin spacings. T8 and T12 are medium bipin and T5 is mini bipin. IF (and that's a big IF) the socket was changed in the fixture to a mini bipin a normal output T5 bulb would work.....but that's alot of work for nothing gained. ;)

Some ballasts will do either or both. it will say on the ballast itself. It gets tricky trying to DIY with flourescent tubes. They require a specific capacitance, that the metal base and reflector provides, to fire.

Back
Top Bottom