T8 to T5 lighting conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LWilson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am setting up a live rock marine tank but have a lighting system built into the hood for 3 30w 870mm T8 Tubes. I would like to convert to T5 LEDs and have been looking at the conversion kits online but most of the advice seems to relate to commercial lighting.
Will the T5 conversion kits take the LED lights and will they then fit into the sockets for the T8's? The actual distance between contacts is 890mm. Also will there be a power issue running LED t5s in this socket?

T5 bulbs will not fit in T8 end caps. The bulbs are considerably smaller. You'd have to get a new ballast(s) and end caps... and most likely reflectors as well. What are you meaning by T5 LED's?

I know the T5 bulbs are a 5/8 inch diameter and T8's are one inch. There are commercial adaptor kits that fit over the end of T5 tubes to fit them in T8 sockets with the addition of a new starter. These seem mainly for offices etc and I was hoping someone may have done a conversion for an aquarium. I was also hoping to use the LED style lights as these last longer and use less electricity but some websites suggest they wont give out the same illumination as a standard HO T5 unless you get the wattage right. Cheers.

T8s are becoming increasing popular not only are they enery efficient bit the also have a better spectrum some say

Jason M said:
T8s are becoming increasing popular not only are they enery efficient bit the also have a better spectrum some say

I think you mean t5s, t8s are old news compared to t5s. If I were you I would do 1 of two thing. Option one scrap the old lighting fixture and buy a t5 one. Or two over drive the t8 bulbs and leave it at that. Don't mess with conversion kits and stuff like that. if you want corals you will want to do it right and not skip corners. If you want a fowlr then the t8s will do fine.

Back
Top Bottom