Table, probably not a good subsitute for aquarium stand, correct?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fierflie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a 2x3 wood table and I plan on putting a 20g aquarium on it, is it likely to break under the weight?

Totally depends on how strong the table is. If a 300lb guy can jump on it without falling through, you're most likely going to be fine.

That's a tough one ... A 5 or even a 10gal I'd say should be ok ... but as Konvictkeeper said ... a 20 is at around 200 lbs with water, substrate, decor ... etc.

Unless you absolutely know it'll hold that weight ... you may want to go with stand in this case. Can you post any pics? If so can you do close ups of the legs? Maybe someone here has a similar table that can better comment.

jcolon said:
That's a tough one ... A 5 or even a 10gal I'd say should be ok ... but as Konvictkeeper said ... a 20 is at around 200 lbs with water, substrate, decor ... etc.

Unless you absolutely know it'll hold that weight ... you may want to go with stand in this case. Can you post any pics? If so can you do close ups of the legs? Maybe someone here has a similar table that can better comment.

Sorry, no pics available. All USB camera cords have disappeared.... Think I'll just go with a stand, I don't want to risk it.

KonvictKeeper said:
Hmm not quite sure... A 20g filled weighs like 250 pounds or something. I wouldn't do it. But then again I'm really paranoid of my tank breaking though... It's my worst nightmare.

I believe its a little less than 200 pounds, because a 40 gallon weighs about 400 pounds.

Water is something like 8.3 lbs per gallon.
20g tank holds about 167 lbs of water.
Don't forget to add some weight for gravel/sand, the tank itself, etc.

It all depends on how well your table is constructed.
I had a 25g on an old wooden credenza for many years. It was sturdily-built and worked fine.
Good luck whichever way you decide.

Back
Top Bottom