Tank background help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katrinag

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. I am trying to decide what background to use for a new 75 gal tank. I was set on doing a plastic type that tapes on the back but my LFS had these 3d type inserts that costs minimum of $150. I started researching and found that a black background will show colors more . I am really confused which way to go. Any comments on the best background ? Thank you

Deffinetly use pond foam on the back wall. Looks awesome. But only if your back wall is plastic or acrylic. It won't stick to glass

Hi. I am trying to decide what background to use for a new 75 gal tank. I was set on doing a plastic type that tapes on the back but my LFS had these 3d type inserts that costs minimum of $150. I started researching and found that a black background will show colors more . I am really confused which way to go. Any comments on the best background ? Thank you
Use some latex paint and paint it on. Those stick on backgrounds can give problems with air bubbles and if you tape them on, you don't get the full colour effect. If you get bubbles and it peels, unless you have easy access to the back of the tank, they can be near impossible to reattach without draining most of the tank to move it. Painting it on is so easy, cheap and is easily removed if needed. I would definitely go with the black background as it makes ALL the colours pop. It also help camouflage your equipment.....

Use some latex paint and paint it on. Those stick on backgrounds can give problems with air bubbles and if you tape them on, you don't get the full colour effect. If you get bubbles and it peels, unless you have easy access to the back of the tank, they can be near impossible to reattach without draining most of the tank to move it. Painting it on is so easy, cheap and is easily removed if needed. I would definitely go with the black background as it makes ALL the colours pop. It also help camouflage your equipment.....

ok, thank you. I have some questions. I assume you paint the outside of the tank? If for some reason I hated it, can they paint be removed without damaging the tank? The tank is glass. Also does the paint tend to chip? I wonder if painting it will cancel the warrantee

ok, thank you. I have some questions. I assume you paint the outside of the tank? If for some reason I hated it, can they paint be removed without damaging the tank? The tank is glass. Also does the paint tend to chip? I wonder if painting it will cancel the warrantee
Yes the outside. It is easily removed with a scraper. The type with a razor inside it. Also with the latex paint it will peel right off, no damage to the tank. The warrenty, it should not effect it. The same goes for a 3D insert. I have my 55g painted and only use those stick on backgrounds(with Seaview oil) in my smaller tanks....

Yes the outside. It is easily removed with a scraper. The type with a razor inside it. Also with the latex paint it will peel right off, no damage to the tank. The warrenty, it should not effect it. The same goes for a 3D insert. I have my 55g painted and only use those stick on backgrounds(with Seaview oil) in my smaller tanks....

ok that sounds great.Any chance you can post a photo of your 55 gal so I can see what the background looks like?

Oh, just to add, make sure you use a matt(flat) black. You don't want a shine to the paint. Good luck with it and don't forget to post some finished pictures to this thread.
PS...You could always keep a picture/video diary of how you did it. This is a fairly common question with fellow members.

I used this stuff

Crystalizing Paint

Very easy to apply. Brush it on with a throw-away brush or just swirl it on a small tank. Then sit back and watch the crystal patterns form. Very durable but you can remove it with a razor blade.

Eric

Back
Top Bottom