Tank is not level..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin_Toronto

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a standard size 90gallon in a basement. The tank sits in a corner, around 8" away from all walls. The floor is cement, with a thin carpet over it. The stand itself is a sturdy wood sedona, before the aquarium was placed on the stand I checked to ensure it was stable at all corners, also the surface at the top is flat, the aquarium is resting on the stand on all corners.

However, the rear left of the aquarium is exactly 3/4" lower than the front right corner. It's visually a noticable difference.

The aquarium itself I've used for many years, and have never had any problems with it. In fact, in my old basement it also suffered from the same "leaning" (though at the time on an iron stand). But the condition wasn't as severe.

Anyway, my aquarium is currently cycling (FOWLR) and though it would be a huge PITA to tear it down to shim it (considering my work schedule for the next month is 14-hr days, 7 days a week.) I could pull some allnighters if there is a real possibility of a leak.

Thoughts?

Justin

I would try to shim it. Your putting extra strain on the sides of the glass where the water level is higher. It might not be a problem, but I wouldn't take the chance.

3/4" is quite a bit ... most people would not go over 1/4" off level because of the added strain & risk of seam failure.

If the tank was level before filling & not after, it might well be a divot in the cement under the carpet & the stand sinks down with the extra weight of water. You might be able to shim the stand instead without tearing down the tank. <Check the stand now for level & see if it is true.>

I was able to slightly lift my stand & 80 gal tank (& shim) after I drained off about 1/2 the water. If you were to try this, make sure you do it slow & steady as abrupt movement (like dropping it during the lift) of a 1/2 full tank can stress & bust the seams. I didn't have any problems doing it. YMMV!

Since you just set the tank up I would drain it and get it level. Take it from me. I have had 2 tanks crack this year because of undue stress on different areas. Make sure that everything is perfectly level before filling the tank. Trust me you do not want 90g of water running through your basement.

Back
Top Bottom