Tank on long dresser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mazes321

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've read several posts about putting a large aquarium on a dresser but I don't have anywhere else to really put it. Was wondering if I put a sheet of plywood or maybe 2 if that would help with the weight distribution. It's a 50 gallon aquarium. Here's a picture of the dresser. Please forgive the mess I'm moving things around.1585758476015.jpg

Will the tank fit without anything hanging off the edge? You can test the strength of the dresser by putting something approximately the same weight as a filled tank. That would be somewhere around 600 lbs or 272 kg

Hi, I would fix the dresser to the back wall and lay 3/4" marine ply across the top, I would screw down the ply every 8 inches. You could also reinforce the legs with some upright timbers, fixing the entire unit to the wall is important. Check the level first, half fill and check again, if it hasn't moved, fill some more. Or what SaraB suggested, testing it first with something the same weight or more would be a sensible thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom