Tank stand alternatives.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaticAl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys I have a 20 gallon long tank I am hoping to set up for African cichlid fry/ hospital tank. I don't have the cash for a stand so wondering what people have used or suggest I try for a stand

Many television stands will work. Just make sure it's very sturdy, as a 20 gallon aquarium will weigh about 200 pounds!

If ur handy a few 2x4can easily be used to make a stand. Just make sure u place weight on top of legs not on sides. If that makes since. I prefer 4 x4 for legs. But u can usually build ur own stand for less than $50. If ur handy. Amd if ur not... It's not.that hard. But I have found al sorts of things at good will that are study enough. I weigh 240. So I use my self as a weight test usually...

Cheapest alternative I've ever seen was using 6 breeze blocks (3 each side) with a 2 inch thick board across the top. They then painted the breeze blocks and job done. It's looked really nice, I can't find the pic right now but I'll post it if I do

Found it, but actually uses 9 but still can't cost much

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120107_153224.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120107_153224.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 344
How big of a tank you think you can go with cinder blocks? I found a killer deal on CL on a tank but no stand.

Probably as big as your floor can support the weight. They use cinder blocks in buildings after all.

Cinder blocks... Of course. Super strong Amd super cheap. Nice. I would use quick create to bind.

Currently, I have my 55 gallon on a long dresser that I picked up for 10 bucks at a second hand store. put a couple 2x4's in for support. not bad. less than 20 dollars invested right now. I plan on building a nice stand come spring time. My 29 is on an entertainment stand that I bought at walmart on clearance for 30 bucks. It looks absolutely beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom