Tank Stand Stability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredfrenzyy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My friend has a 20 gal tall tank and her stand fits almost perfectly. There may be 1" of wood that shows from the bottom of the tank. She wants to switch to a 20 gal long and wants to know if using the same stand would suffice. I imagine the long tank will probably hang over the edge a couple inches. Would this be a problem? Would it cause any stress on the tank if maybe 2" on the end of each tank were not supported? Would putting a board under the tank help?

Thanks!

Yes it would cause stress stands are cheap enough don't risk it and buy or build correct one

The entire bottom of the tank needs to be supported. Stress cracks could develop otherwise.

I have no idea how my tank survived it's stand as I was when I bought it used. It had no top, just a wooden rim. I guess the previous owner kept a board under it. But a piece of cabinet board cut to size, painted and screwed in cost me about $15 and less than an hour (apart from the time spent letting the paint dry). It would definitely benefit your friend to do something similar. Way cheaper and easier than dealing with a busted tank!

Alyxx said:
I have no idea how my tank survived it's stand as I was when I bought it used. It had no top, just a wooden rim. I guess the previous owner kept a board under it. But a piece of cabinet board cut to size, painted and screwed in cost me about $15 and less than an hour (apart from the time spent letting the paint dry). It would definitely benefit your friend to do something similar. Way cheaper and easier than dealing with a busted tank!

^^^
I have just done the same thing. I got a second hand tank and stand and the stand was too big for the tank. The tank was only being supported by the two centre braces of the stand eek!
I wouldn't risk it. Last thing you want is a cracked tank!

Back
Top Bottom