tank strength compromised??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitetiprs

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have an extra 29 gal tank that I plan on using to upgrade my sump once I am finished building my new stand, but I don't know if I should still use it. The tank is old we got it used from a friend and have used it as a QT tank for awhile and when I was washing it out to prep it before adding baffles the black plastic bottom piece came loose. It can completly be removed but the silicon under it is in good shape, as well as the silicon inside appart from being blue due to copper treatments. Can I still use this tank for my sump or should I send alittle extra and get a new one?

tough call. I've used tanks with missing trim glued back on and never had a problem. But, that's not to say that you won't. Safe call would be a replacement.

To be honest.. the precations that I would go through trying to remove copper from a tank.. would not be worth the cost of a new 29 gallon tank.. and I wouldnt be certian that I did a good enough job to prevent inverts. from dieing..

I tripple the concern about the copper as it could leach back into the tank when its used as a sump affecting the entire setup.

well I decided its better to be safe than sorry and spent the cash to get a new tank. Now Im just waiting on the silicon to come then a few coats of polyurathane and Ill be ready to swap stands :)

pelochas said:
how do you check or test if a used tank had copper in it?

Any blue or blue green in the silicone is a sign that copper has been used. But it is best to know the history of the tank in question to be absolutely certain that no copper has been used.. HTH

Back
Top Bottom