TaoTronics Dimmable LED for reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So mr x if u run my lights at 50 % on a 16 inch deep tank lights 10 inch above my par readings should be half of yours right ? Trying to get my corals the right amount of par
Me too. I do the same thing with my timers. I recently lowered my whites from 9 to 7.5 hours and keep the blues on 10. I didn't see any changes in coloration.
Theoretically, using the fixture as you stated Pete, sounds like it will be around the same, but LEDs are funny. I think they can be more powerful than we think they are. You just have to learn what they like by trial and error.

Me too. I do the same thing with my timers. I recently lowered my whites from 9 to 7.5 hours and keep the blues on 10. I didn't see any changes in coloration.
Theoretically, using the fixture as you stated Pete, sounds like it will be around the same, but LEDs are funny. I think they can be more powerful than we think they are. You just have to learn what they like by trial and error.

Thanks buddy and I'm going to lower my times too as i am at nine also ....everything is ok except my bubble coral not opening as much

Yes, these are a bit hard on some LPS. It took me months to acclimate some pieces. A Symphyllia I am keeping never got over the new lights. I'm trying to nurse it in the refugium tank now at about 100% blue and 30% white.

Yes, these are a bit hard on some LPS. It took me months to acclimate some pieces. A Symphyllia I am keeping never got over the new lights. I'm trying to nurse it in the refugium tank now at about 100% blue and 30% white.

Noticed that but what's weird is my maxi mini is on the button of tank and is happy does that mean the light is that intense down there ? Bc my other corals are higher than he is

Has any of these taotronics or reefbreeder led setups started to rust on the outside? From the photos, the housing/frame looks metal to me.. My local fish store has some hanging over their tanks and the look identical to these and are rusted and looking worse all the time.. These are going to be my next big purchase but i dont want a rusted piece of metal hanging over my tank,

I would like to hear what condition everyones is in and how long you've had them..
Thanks

Good question. Yes, I have some rusting on the little grates on the fans. The RB fixture has a series of holes cut in a circular form on the top panel instead of having unpainted metal grates, and that fixture appears to have no rust. It's not as old as the other Tao's I have though.
I will upload some photos in a few.

That said, My fish room is as humid as a pet store. If you have a different situation, i think this will make a difference. I have plenty of halide and T5 fixtures that are all rusty too.......just sayin!

Pics....these are the original, non-dimmable units I purchased-
img_2397607_0_0a45bddb79983fd5694f0f6997156190.jpg

This one is the RB unit-
img_2397607_1_9b75987e5ef0683501e876b8269f0bff.jpg

And this one is a dimmable Tao I have about 20" above the water over my 12" deep refugium/ frag area-
img_2397607_2_5c0bd949cac6653d63d98301f7bbc018.jpg

ok that's what i was looking for.. ty doug.. The tank i have is in my living room and the humidity is now where near what it is like at my LFS so this should slow down the rust.. But no matter what, any metal being in close proximity to salt water will rust eventually.. When i do finally get these light i may repaint them with something better/more coats of paint.. Im not sure which paint im going to use yet but im going to look into it.. Thanks for the photos

Back
Top Bottom