Taotronics LED fixtures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ajm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking into getting these LEDs for my upcoming reef. I plan on keeping mainly soft corals and nems. I plan on a 4 foot long tank possibly 3 foot. I was wondering how many of the fixtures would I need for each size tank with my coral choices. Thank you

I have 3 over my 4ft by 3 ft tank ad they work great. 2 are ttronnics and 1 is evolution

image-2961693422.jpg

Okay cool thanks guys. I keep asking the same questions I feel like but I just really want to do things right the first time. I'll get 2 Tao tronics dimmable fixtures on eBay pretty soon here. Hope to order my tank Friday. And get part by part of everything else with each paycheck. Gonna be some time before I'm all up and running.

I buy the lights Taotronics sells direct from the factory. Did not see them offering the dimmable fixture yet. I have them and they work nicely. This same factory builds panels from 60 watts to 400 watts. I use a 300 watt for my center light and can grow SPS like weeds. Taotronics is a major importer, so if they carry the light the price is very good. With shipping I pay about the same price they offer the panels for. I have used about 30 of them so far and had one early panel fail (it was mine, not a customers thank heavens) . The factory supplied me with spare parts, so I can fix them in my shop.

Gregcoyote said:
I buy the lights Taotronics sells direct from the factory. Did not see them offering the dimmable fixture yet. I have them and they work nicely. This same factory builds panels from 60 watts to 400 watts. I use a 300 watt for my center light and can grow SPS like weeds. Taotronics is a major importer, so if they carry the light the price is very good. With shipping I pay about the same price they offer the panels for. I have used about 30 of them so far and had one early panel fail (it was mine, not a customers thank heavens) . The factory supplied me with spare parts, so I can fix them in my shop.

Ya I'm not sure it's actual taotronics, but I read a few reviews and watched YouTube videos on the light in question and they all were good. Would you recommend the non dimmable actual taotronics? I heard they are too strong sometimes.

I would recommend them. The mistake many people make is underestimating the amount of usable light LEDs create. It may not look as bright to you, but it may be enough to.burn corals. Start them off high and lower them if possible. If that can't be done, use some linen to block some of the light temporarily and allow your corals to adjust slowly.

Gregcoyote said:
I would recommend them. The mistake many people make is underestimating the amount of usable light LEDs create. It may not look as bright to you, but it may be enough to.burn corals. Start them off high and lower them if possible. If that can't be done, use some linen to block some of the light temporarily and allow your corals to adjust slowly.

Would the only signs of it being too intense be bleaching? Are there signs that I would be able to pick up on before there is an issue of that severity?

? I have heard different answers. The ones one have are non-dimmable. Some say min 12 inches from water mine are about 10. What do you thk is best?

There are a couple of things that can happen depending on the coral species. In the case of photosynthetic SPS varieties, you might see less polyp extension which may or may not affect the corals speed of growth. I have some Acros that I hardly ever see the polyps and it grows really fast anyways.

The worst thing is bleaching, which some hard corals can recover from, but it generally kills them. So it's safer to start out with the LEDs either dimmed if they have a PCM driver, or shade the corals with something at first, then gradually expose them to the stronger light.

Mushrooms will extend a bit smaller at first as they realize they don't have to hang it all out to get enough light density for their algae. Some soft corals like Xenia will extend shorter, again as a result of not having to reach for the light.

My LPS corals seem to not care one way or the other.

Gregcoyote said:
There are a couple of things that can happen depending on the coral species. In the case of photosynthetic SPS varieties, you might see less polyp extension which may or may not affect the corals speed of growth. I have some Acros that I hardly ever see the polyps and it grows really fast anyways.

The worst thing is bleaching, which some hard corals can recover from, but it generally kills them. So it's safer to start out with the LEDs either dimmed if they have a PCM driver, or shade the corals with something at first, then gradually expose them to the stronger light.

Mushrooms will extend a bit smaller at first as they realize they don't have to hang it all out to get enough light density for their algae. Some soft corals like Xenia will extend shorter, again as a result of not having to reach for the light.

My LPS corals seem to not care one way or the other.

Great thank you!

I have 3 taotonics over my 180g. Never have an issue and they are 7 inches above the tank. There is a video on my thread kio 3.0 if u wanna check them out.

Kio707 said:
I have 3 taotonics over my 180g. Never have an issue and they are 7 inches above the tank. There is a video on my thread kio 3.0 if u wanna check them out.

Okay sweet thank you. Do you like the lights? How does it look with both on? And are they dimmable?

Ajm said:
Okay sweet thank you. Do you like the lights? How does it look with both on? And are they dimmable?

Love them. Look great. And I got the non dimmable ones

Kio707 said:
Love them. Look great. And I got the non dimmable ones

How far from your tank do you have them hanging? Mine came in today and I hung them quickly before work. It's about 14 in from the tank for now. It's a 20 gallon (not sure how deep but is 24" in length and not a 20 long if that helps)

Ajm said:
How far from your tank do you have them hanging? Mine came in today and I hung them quickly before work. It's about 14 in from the tank for now. It's a 20 gallon (not sure how deep but is 24" in length and not a 20 long if that helps)

That should work. Mine are 7" in a 180g (24" deep) and I still bleach stuff. Clams are on sand bed and a sps still growing.

Yeah, depends a lot on the depth of the tank and coral placement. I will vouch on them being super strong though. In a 55 gallon (19" deep) and 11" above the surface I still need a layer of window screen over the lights and my softies and LPS on the bottom to avoid bleaching.

I'm starting to have really good coral growth though. I think the corals just needed a long period of time to adjust to the light.

Back
Top Bottom