Tell me something I don't know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hinds04

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm about to order a 48" current usa nova extreme pro from petmountain.com (6 bulb t5ho) for $362... anyone know of any vendors here that offer discounts or a better place to get one of these?

I would have to second Mr X on this one. Not only will you get an 8 bulb fixture, but I have Current USA fixtures and they are discontinuing some of them and I've had a hard time getting a replacement ballast for one of my 2x48 T5HO fixture.

those bulbs the current fixture come with are not good anyway. i can get you ATI lamps for about 18 bucks each. much more PAR, and much better color. your tank will look like the movie AVATAR.

i would go with the 6 bulb nova pro for your tank patrick. only because of that reason. not so much looks, but light spilling over the sides of the tank.

Sorry Hinds, I didn't meant to jack your thread. When I posted I thought you had a 55gal too. Thanks Doug!

Try to google what mr x is saying. The light fixture with ati lighting is night and day. Although it seems like all t5 are created equal, they are not. especially if using the ati lights.

still gonna cost another $200 plus for bulbs and brackets. I'm sure the light is great, I'm just not looking to spend that. I'm not doing a whole lot of coral anyway... I can't even keep my fish from dieing in water that checks out just fine. I just lost 2 fish today with a perfect water test. When it's time to replace bulbs I will buy the api ones. No need to apologize Patrick, whatever helps man

i don't see anywhere if that fixture is UL listed or not, and chances are, if they don't write that in the description, it isn't. maybe contact the seller and ask them. 300 bucks for a knock-off fixture doesn't sound like a great deal to me. you are definitely going to get what you pay for in this case.

I'd just spend the extra $40-50 and go with Current USA, plenty of experienced aquarists recommend that fixture, so you know it's a quality product.

Back
Top Bottom