Temp controller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any recommendations on a good one for a reef tank?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah but I'm not looking for something all that complex. Not yet at least.

Again, I'm trying to avoid, if possible, the complete controllers, as my tank is a nano, and simply doesn't require one. However, I'd like a good performing, accurate, and reliable temp controller. I've seen some from Pinpoint and a few others, but reviews, etc seem few and far between.

no, that's just a thermometer. There's a pinpoint controller for heaters, but it's pricey given that it's a single purpose device.

Looking around at the heater controllers and the spotty reviews associated with them, I might just bite the bullet and get an Apex. That would convince my wife to let me get a bigger tank ("but honey, look at what it can do, and make the bigger tank soooooooo much easier" :) )

no, that's just a thermometer. There's a pinpoint controller for heaters, but it's pricey given that it's a single purpose device.

Looking around at the heater controllers and the spotty reviews associated with them, I might just bite the bullet and get an Apex. That would convince my wife to let me get a bigger tank ("but honey, look at what it can do, and make the bigger tank soooooooo much easier" :) )

Haha. That's what I plan to do. I got the reef keeper lite because it does pretty much the same things as the apex jr but it's $110 cheaper.

My beef with RKL is no network connectivity. The Apex out of the box has it, and I have several things I could use it for.

Anyhow, I kinda figured that's how this was going to turn out.

Good point. For me, I had no need for it, but if I did, I could always attach it.

FWIW, I'm going to get the Ranco controller:
ETC Supply

I could easily wire it myself, but with 3 kids, time is at a premium, so I'll be getting the pre-wired version.

Of course, if the wife OKs the Apex, then I'll use that, but I think this is more palatable in the short term :)

I can't find anything that indicates if the probe is waterproof though. The Johnsons Controls thermostatic controller definitely isn't and it looks to have a similar probe.

I am going to do more digging on this before I pullthe trigger.

I got the Ranco yesterday. I haven't hooked it up yet, I'll probably do that tonight. Nicely built, very solid.

FYI, if you do buy it from ETC supply, they will put on heat shrink tubing for you on the sensor for $1.50.

Back
Top Bottom