Testing Used Tank for Damage: Any Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fluffaloo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I recently got a 125 gallon aquarium that had been used by a previous owner for about a year or so. The aquarium has a lot of scratches due to sand substrate and magnet cleaner, and probably other unknown reasons. The silicone seems to be holding pretty well I think.

The things I am concerned about are unseen cracks or possibly deeper scratches. There is one longer scratch on the inside of the side panel (towards middle) of the tank and is not very deep and doesn't seem to go through to the other side. In addition there also was what I thought to be a crack in between the base trim and the glass but after accidentally dripping water in that area, it seemed to go away after drying.

I have had the tank full now for about 48 hours and have not noticed any growth or changes. How long should I keep this tank full before I can be sure it should be safe and can move the fish in? We are moving and I don't want to risk the tank "exploding" in our new house. I can attempt to post pictures tomorrow if need be but I was having a difficult time getting the scratch on camera.

I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Back
Top Bottom