The best Canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacksthefish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm looking to get a 90gallon or bigger tank and looking for answers on the filtration aspect.

The fish I want-
2 Oscars
1 green terror
1 pleco

Those are the fish I want but not sure if a 90gallon will be big enough for them. If you guys have any ideas about a good oscar tank i will appreciate it.

and last thing is canister filter worth it? and which one should i get if im going with a 90gallon tank.

Thanks

From what I've seen people write, canister filters are the way to go with bigger tanks. I've also heard fluval makes wonderful canister filters. This isn't based on experience, but just hearsay.

my 2 fav are rena xp and the new c series from marinland. those two are your best bet.

There's a chinese company who makes the marineland series, that have their own brand. You buy them off ebay, or a couple online stores. I bought one as my first canister for $54, and I'm liking it alot. I want to replace the intake and return pipes though, but either way, I think it is a great filter for the price, but I have nothing to compare it to since it is my first canister.

Here are a few reviews from some other forums though

SUNSUN HW-302 Outside Filter setup & test - Aquaria Central

My Review: SunSun "Outside Filter" HW-302

I'm a huge fan of the fluval fx5 which would be plenty of filtration for a 90 and having an oscar.

As far as the tank is concerned I really would advise against getting a green terror as they are just that...terrors. having 90 gal is a great thing but if you decide to do that I would tread carefully. I've also heard of people having multiple oscars in one tank with success but because of their size and territorial tendencies I'm always afraid, but please post pics of what you end up doing.

Thanks everyone, i was looking at the fluvals, i will look into the marineland series

I'm surprised the Eheim Fanboys aren't all over this thread. I'm not really a fan of cannisters,(even though they work extremely well) because they are a pain to maintain compared to other filters, and they are generally expensive for name brands. So, having said that, I would say the best cannister is the one you are willing to maintain regularly. Leaving a cannister for 6 months is not maintaining it. Everything in the can, even though you can't see it, must be considered to be still in the tank.

I know alot of people don't like them, but I've got two Marineland Magnum 350's on two 55 gallon tanks and I love them. They're quiet, keep each tank crystal clear, and cost alot less than other 350 gph filters. They're about $95 bucks from BigAls, and I've had no problems out of either. My only real gripe is when you have to prime it after cleaning. The water flows into the top of the cannister, through the media, and then through a pipe feeding from the bottom. That tends to trap air in the canister when you refil it, so it won't self prime. You can either prefill it before you put the lid back on, or open the outlet valve first, then the intake. That'll let the air escape through the intake strainer, and draw water in from the spraybar. It's a little annoying having to open them in the proper order, but it's not a huge deal.

Back
Top Bottom