The best cheap water testing unit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessfreshwater

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I do not have a way to test my aquarium's water yet and,I was wondering what you guys would suggest? I'm on a tight budget and I can't spend more than $20. I seen a five in one test strip by API for only $6 and I was wondering if they were any good?

The strips are less accurate than the liquid tests but they work fine. The API 5 in 1 does not have ammonia so you will also need to buy ammonia test strips. You also only are getting 25 tests with the strips so factor that into your cost equation as well. On the other hand, the test strips test kh and gh which the liquid test kit from api doesn't include and needs to be purchased separately.

The liquid kits require a slightly higher initial investment but have a lower per test cost.

It's a great investment.

Amazon has it for $19.99 right now and if you do subscribe and save it's $18.99 (If you're not familiar with s&s, you can cancel right after it ships and you don't have to be a prime member). I got it for $16.99 because I have 5+ items.

Have to go with API Master Test Kit for freshwater. £25 at the moment on Amazon. Worth the small initial expense, it’s very accurate & will last you ages.

Water Testing

Hi I do not have a way to test my aquarium's water yet and,I was wondering what you guys would suggest? I'm on a tight budget and I can't spend more than $20. I seen a five in one test strip by API for only $6 and I was wondering if they were any good?

Hello Jess...

If you're keeping a basic tank with hardy fish from the local pet store, you don't need to test the water. Testing is for cycling a tank or for those who choose to follow a less than optimum water change routine. Here's the deal: If your tank is established and has been up and running for a few months and you remove and replace most of the tank water weekly, you don't need to test it. It's that simple. By changing out most of the water weekly, no slacking, you keep dissolved toxins out of the tank and maintain a steady water chemistry all the time.

B

Back
Top Bottom