the best website I've found for light info.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMantelli

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know you all want to know everything you can about the different types of lighting and how light is measured I know I do. I just found this webpage and it explains (as far as I know) EVERYTHING from the watt per gallon "rule" to how color temp is measured and par/pur rating. I'm sure this will help a lot of people decide what light is right for you. I know it did for me when the next dollar per gallon sale comes around I'm gonna get another 55 and do half low-med and half high lighting and thanks to this page I know exactly how I'm going to do it. :)

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquarium_lighting.html

THank you Mantelli. Just read the article you provided on lighting. It IS the best one I've seen so far. I'm saving it for future reference. Looks like many exciting improvements are heading our way. Isn't it a shame that there is so much "Junk" out there. I wish we had an international standard like other industries have. ie. ASTM, ISTA to weed out the crooks.
This article will sure help me make some better decisions. Luck, OS.

Didnt read it all but did pick up a few good info in there....(y)

*Fish Health:
Many recent studies have shown the importance of full spectrum lighting (which will generally encompass a high PAR value) as it relates to health in humans & animals, can be extrapolated to fish as well for a disease prevention which is why good lighting should not be restricted to Reef Marine or Planted Freshwater Aquariums, but to fish only salt or freshwater tanks as well.
In fact the medical community is now utilizing 6400K SHO lights (full spectrum lights) due to increasing studies that show better immune function, mental health, and more. Animal studies support similar results as well.

Yes he has a lot of good info on there. Helped my pick my light for my wife's 20 were in the process of planting.

And about the health that comes with good light I was at the hospital the other day (seeing a friend there fine) and seen a poster in the lobby advertising LED light therapy for infants. Don't know exactly for what bit it just confirmed what he said about that in his article.

Also its prob a good idea to read it over I had to read it 3 times before I understood it all. Fully at least.

Back
Top Bottom