The Sump is Up - White Water Rapids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

demodiki

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I go the sump filled and turned on. Here is the question: Should the water in the drain be so turbulent? It's 'belching' water out of the sump at times! There are no microbubbles in the tank.

The Durso level seems fine. No fluctuations.

As you can see...the return area looks fine.

TIA!

Surprised you're still getting burping with the standpipe. How much flow are you getting? I'd hate to see the salt creep after a month of that much turbulence 8O Any 90 degree bends? If so could they be replaced with 45?

The PVC should extend into the sump water and should be vented somewhere. Preferably, right before the drain line goes into the water, insert a Y so that air can escape.

It should be 600 gph with the drain. The PVC does have a 45 degree bend into the sump. A Y? Is that another piece of PVC?

Yes, it allows air to escape and with 600 GPH water shouldn't escape through it.

OK what I did in the meantime is dial down the drain with my ball valve. I know everyone was on me about a ball valve being on the drain but it seems to be working okay right now. Grrr the last thing I wanted to do was drain any part of it...cut PVC and glue again! :)

Thanks!

Using ball valves on both the drain and return is not a bad idea IMO and can often solve noise issues. As long as your overflow can keep up with your pump it's not an issue and I'm glad you were able to resolve it without having to redo part of your plumbing which is always a pain.

Back
Top Bottom