Thermometers - Mercury vs. Digital TESTED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmor1701d

Aquarium Advice Addict
Some of you may remember my post about the temp difference I was seeing between my mercury thermometers and my digital ones.

I have a lab grade mercury thermo and a cheap plastic one for a tank. Both of them agree on the temperature of a water sample. I have a controller for my heaters and a digital readout on one of the heaters (separate controller).

Both of the digitals read 2 degrees higher than the mercury based thermometers. So which one is correct?

I work at a pharmaceutical company so I asked our metrology department to test one of each of my thermometers. They have a temperature calibrated incubator with a thermometer inside and a canister of some aqueous solution which is used for calibrating thermometers used in manufacturing.

The results PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well after a careful test of both my digital hand held and my lab grade mercury thermometers, it turns out that the mercury thermometer agrees to the tenth of a degree with the test equipment. The digital reads 2 degrees higher.

So my tank that never varies from 79 degrees is actually a very stable 77 degrees.

also not all digital thermometers are equal. i know the coralife ones are known to be off.... i have 3 of them i got with tanks and other stuff. each one will read a different temp.

Is the accuracy really that critical?

As long as the thermometer is close to accurate and the water temperature remains steady and within the safe range, I'm happy.

It's the safety margin when temps get close to critical (either way).

I have the Pinpoint remote thermometer with 3 units and all three show differnent temps. Anyone want to buy them cheap?

Back
Top Bottom