Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2018, 05:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thermostat controller vs heater without it.

I've noticed when using a heater without a thermostat controller, the temp fluctuates more. In my 10G, with the Aqueon 50 watt, the temp would go up and down about 3-3.5 deg every couple of hours. Other heaters I've used were like that maybe not quite as bad, though. I got a Finnex analog controller and with that heater the tank stays within a degree. Why does this happen?

10Gallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Either the tank gets exposed to temps too cold for the heater to keep up or the heaters are undersized or crap ? I only use Aqueon Pros and have no issue with any of my tanks . I keep several at 86f ! I have over 30 of them . They have lifetime replacement guarantee so I wonder why others buy different heaters. I know many people who have got a free heater from Aqueon by just emailing them when there heater died ...The preset heaters are no good IMO especially if you have a tank 10g or bigger as it does not have any way to account for tank volume.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...YyYMVHePKPEjEJ
There is a page in the directions above that will tell you how much an Aqueon pro can raise the tank temp above an average room temp of 68-72 by size of tank and heater.
It is the most useful way to know what size heater you really need.
I by all my heaters on line usually from amazon or Ebay for well under 1/2 the price stores sell them for .

^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I know it's not that the heater is undersized because the same heater performs well when used with the controller.
10Gallon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, control, controller, eat, eater, heat, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com