Thinking of a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artoledo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 75G SW tank. I recently had knee surgery and maintenance has been really hard on me. I cannot do water changes and neither can my wife. I have to pay people to do them for me. I was wondering what you guys thought about possibly downgrading from the 75G to a 55G with built in overflows? Everyone asks me why and tells me to keep the 75. Input is greatly appreciated.

Even with a 55G PWCs will be needed. Do they charge you based on the size of the tank?

I would keep the 75 gallon tank. There is not much difference between the two. I know I am coming off a ruptured achilles tendon injury that I have not still returned to work yet. Instead of doing the usual 4 buckets at one time I just do a 5 gallon PWC and do it 3-4 days a week. It is easier to do 5 gallons and get it over and is less stress to my foot. Just an idea.

As melosu suggest try lowering the amount you change and make it more frequent. Also which part is the hard part for you? because if you have a large container on wheels and can easily take care of the water preparations you could get or make a simple batterey/pump powered siphon to get to push water from mixing container to tank.

but on a different note wouldn't your tang be a bit large for a 55 gallon?

flip_lx said:
but on a different note wouldn't your tang be a bit large for a 55 gallon?

I was thinking of that. The hard part for me is that i dont have a RO/DI unit. I have to buy my RO/DI water from my LFS and bring it home. My wife is a small woman too, so its hard for her. Maybe I am overreacting. I was thinking of buying a 75G with a built in overflow and i thought a 55G with built in overflow would be much cheaper. Its just a combination of being frustrated with my leg and money and not wanting to put alot of strain on my wife.

Well....wouldn't a good in-home RO/DI unit be even cheaper than a RR tank? Plus it would be a lot less hassle! Get that and a bucket on wheels (or 2, one to mix up the new SW and one to drain the water change water) and a pump and your water changes should be a lot easier.

I'd give my left arm for a 75 instead of my 55.....FW planted, but the difference in space for aquascaping is amazing, I know it would be the same for a reef.

Well... if it's a matter of hauling water, then I'm not sure what difference a 55g will make over a 75g - you're still going to be hauling water. Seems to me that this might be a great reason to spring for a RO/DI unit! No more water hauling... at least from the store! And then set yourself up so that you have minimal hauling between the tank and the RO/DI unit.

hrm well i'd keep the 75gallon. your knee is the main problem for now but given time you'll be back up and able to take care of the tank. By saying your wife is a small lady is that she can't lift heavily or you have the tank say on a 2nd floor or something and its too much work in general for her? Either way if a 75 is too much for her to take some care of there really won't be much of a difference downgrading to the 55 as im sure all your water change equipment would stay the same. It looks like the best bet for now would be to make smaller more frequent changes if possible and on the benefit it will work as some rehab for your knee (assuming your doctor says you can do it don't take my word and blow it out again please)

Back
Top Bottom