Thoughts on HomeDepot bilge pump for Co2 diffuser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ketso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am in need of a pump to circulate water through my Co2 diffuser. I looked online at the typical pumps from Pentair, etc. I then did a search and found this bilge pump at HD. The cost is less than most aquarium based pumps and the flow rate is up there where I think it will work.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/jsearch/product.jsp?pn=100130116

A few questions. Anyone ever use this type of pump? Will it just burn out from constantly running 24/7 for several months? Any other concerns I am not thinking of?

I'm not sure that pump will make you happy. It is rated at 350gph at 3.3ft of head. You will have more head pressure than that if you are running an inline diffuser. You will also need a decent power supply to run this pump too. Operating current is rated at 1.4 amps. Rule of thumb is that a motor draws 6 times it's locked rotor current when starting. Your power supply will need to be able to take that surge. Think of a power supply that you might use to run a car stereo or cb radio on.

Also, this pump is made to run on an automobile type system, we call it 12 volts but 13.8 is more realistic. Less volts will require more amps.

Something like one of these:
http://www.baproducts.com/pyramid.htm

Take a look at the bottom of the page, PS-7KX would be a good choice.

Thanks redswi and SparKy697!

It was a thought but I think I will go for something like a Pentair. PetSmart has a decent price on them IF they have em in stock here. Hate to drive all the way over there to find out, but their staff will tell you they have Great White Sharks in stock if you ask for em over the phone.

I'm thinking the 1200 series will do. I know that manufacturers pad their head stats somewhat. It's rated at 250gph at 2 feet. I should get atleast 200 or better. I just hope it will be enough to diffuse 12 liters of DIY Co2! The 2200 is a bit out of my budget at the time being.

Back
Top Bottom