Thoughts on Marineland emperor 280 filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was planning to buy the Marineland emperor 280 filter because I've been eyeing it for a long time and it is now on sale at my aquarium store. Right now I am using a Marineland bio wheel 200 and I was looking for something with a deeper outflow and a bit more quiet. I know people are going to tell me to buy an Aquaclear filter but I already have one and I like having different filters on all my tanks.

Sorry, I don't think I was clear on the title. I would like to know what people think about the Marineland emperor 280. Thanks

Pros: I like the second filter cartridge; was able to fill it with ceramic media for extra bio filtration. Decent throughput.
Cons: Loud as a truck. Perhaps the impeller is a bit worn from age or damaged from sand. Not a fan of vertical cartridges.

Ended up putting it on the shelf in favor of Fluval/AquaClear HOBs. Quieter, more flexible media options.

Pros: I like the second filter cartridge; was able to fill it with ceramic media for extra bio filtration. Decent throughput.
Cons: Loud as a truck. Perhaps the impeller is a bit worn from age or damaged from sand. Not a fan of vertical cartridges.

Ended up putting it on the shelf in favor of Fluval/AquaClear HOBs. Quieter, more flexible media options.

I'm good with fixing the impellers on the filters but does the filter make a loud water trickling sound when filled up all the way? Btw what is the difference between the normal aquaclear and the fluval aquaclear?

I'm good with fixing the impellers on the filters but does the filter make a loud water trickling sound when filled up all the way? Btw what is the difference between the normal aquaclear and the fluval aquaclear?

I don't recall the flow of water being all that noisy, although the jets of water from the spray bar can get noisy of pointed directly into the filter and not onto the biowheel.
Sorry for the confusion...I think the original company was Hagen and then later Fluval. Same filter.

I don't recall the flow of water being all that noisy, although the jets of water from the spray bar can get noisy of pointed directly into the filter and not onto the biowheel.
Sorry for the confusion...I think the original company was Hagen and then later Fluval. Same filter.

Thanks would you say this filter is good at keeping the water clean. I'm planning on putting it on a 20 gallon long tank with a bunch of apple snails so things get messy.

Thanks would you say this filter is good at keeping the water clean. I'm planning on putting it on a 20 gallon long tank with a bunch of apple snails so things get messy.

I had the same setup (not with the snails). Using the stock cartridges I felt that they clogged too easily. Assuming a good deal of the BB reside in the biowheel, hypothetically you could flush the cartridge with hot tap water on a frequent basis to extend its life and dirt catching capability. Some may frown upon that. With extra ceramic media in the second cartridge you should be able to pull that off.
To answer your question, yes.

I had the same setup (not with the snails). Using the stock cartridges I felt that they clogged too easily. Assuming a good deal of the BB reside in the biowheel, hypothetically you could flush the cartridge with hot tap water on a frequent basis to extend its life and dirt catching capability. Some may frown upon that. With extra ceramic media in the second cartridge you should be able to pull that off.
To answer your question, yes.

Thanks my goal is to have crystal clear water because this is kind of going to be like my showcase tank if you know what I mean. I have another bio wheel 200 filter do you think I can just use that to get more filtration or do you think buying the emperor filter is a better idea? Just to clarify it I would be having 2 filters. Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks my goal is to have crystal clear water because this is kind of going to be like my showcase tank if you know what I mean. I have another bio wheel 200 filter do you think I can just use that to get more filtration or do you think buying the emperor filter is a better idea? Just to clarify it I would be having 2 filters. Sorry for all the questions.

No problem with the questions. I am a proponent of multiple filters. In case one should fail you have a backup to keep things going. I would go ahead and start using the other biowheel 200 (guessing it is the penguin series) and you can stuff it full of floss (along with the cartridge) for a polishing effect. Just change/rinse out the floss frequently so that nothing builds up. If that setup works for you, then great. If not, maybe look at the emperor 280.
I'm a fan of the up flow style that the AquaClear HOB filters use when it comes to customizing media/floss/pads. The media does not "flop over". Not saying the AC filters are perfect...it's just a preference.
In a vertical cartridge setup, loose floss might be impractical. In that case, you could try the Marineland brand of uncut blue/white filter floss. Cut to the size of the penguin's cartridge.

Pro: lasts FOREVER. Well-made product.

Con: very loud. Gets louder with age, unaffected by cleaning and repositioning impeller.
Con: mid-level intake strainer was added around 2006-2007. Gimmicky and unnecessary.
Con: proprietary cartridges. Look into making your own media (maybe cut-to-fit pads in an extra set of media baskets, then floss in the other set).

JMHO. The pro is still a pretty big pro. :)

Ok I think I will just put the other filter on. It saves me money and I can have more space to fool around with filter media.

I think poly wool is the best media for crystal clean water right? The only con about it is it clogs quickly.

Back
Top Bottom