time to upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello guys. It is time to upgrade my 90 to 125 gal. only problem is my wife but I think she soon will agree with me. I hope this month i start new thread. Maybe is not that much change of water volume but i love 6 ft. tanks < that panoramic view>.First things first. I need your advice. What is your opinion. Should i buy reef ready or predriled tank. My 90 gal. on these pictures is predrilled<left top back corner two holes,drains and top right one return> . I really like it, but for 2 years I had that gurgling sound i could not stop. Finally i extended air chambers thru the wall into laundry room. That is how i got rid of gurgling sound in family room.That was only downside. My LFS <they did it> sad gurgling sound was because my pump was too strong for just 2 drains<Gen-X 40 1200gal/h> and now to get rid of sound he will drill 4 drains. Is he right? Anyway what you guys think reef ready or predrilled?????? Downside of reef ready is to huge corner boxes taking a lot of space plus i never had tank reef ready <what about gurgling sound> I love water sound but gurgling is no,no....Thanks.

Reef Ready = PreDrilled generally with overflow boxes in place.

Do you see any air being sucking into your drains?
What diameter are your drains and how are they plumbed to the sump?

You want your return pump to match or be slightly under the capacity of the drains. If you push more water than the drains can handle the sump will empty.

Reef Ready = PreDrilled generally with overflow boxes in place.

Do you see any air being sucking into your drains?
What diameter are your drains and how are they plumbed to the sump?

You want your return pump to match or be slightly under the capacity of the drains. If you push more water than the drains can handle the sump will empty.
Top part of thouse fittings <around 0.5" is above water level so maybe is sucking air. Lines are 1" strait to the sump. So you prefer reef ready with two inside overflow boxes over the one i have right now? <drilled on the back>

That would be the strainer that is above water. No worries there. But the top of the pvc elbow looks like it's an inch or less from the top of the water line. I was just wondering if any air was getting sucked in causing the gurgling sound.

Yes, I prefer a overflow box with a larger surface area to pull water from to the design in your tank which has a very small surface area. The amount of water going to the sump would be the same, but the surface area being siphoned down would be much greater with an overflow box.

With interior overflow boxes i should not have problem with gurgling sound right? Sorry for all thouse questions. I just want to do it right. Soon I will start new thread of changing from 90 to 125 gal.

Anyone else wants to give me your opinion before I order one? Reef ready or pre-drilled????? Please!!!

Back
Top Bottom