Tips on cleaning algae on glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimbo C

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there any secrets for cleaning the green algae off glass? I tried tool with blade on end and the stuff held on like Rocky Balboa!! Lol

I use a soft toothbrush in general, but for the tough stuff, i use a plastic credit card. Dont scrape too hard because you may scratch the glass, but i have found it to be very effective. All the best.

algae "Cleaning"

Hi. New to site. Long time f/w fish enthusiast! Pleco's r excellent algae !! Do NOT 'Use' 'Chemical' cleaners! (I "Tried" & Killed fish/ Ruined my "Balances"! Found a (yellow) long handled (blue) scrubby cleaner that works Well!! On 'Soft' stuff and lime!!
My daughter bought me a "Food Scraper" (is 'Square'~w/1rounded corner. One side is 'Bubbled'~easie to hold. (Avail a $Tree's) works well! On cleaning 'hard' Algae!
"Best" suggestion~ buy 1 'small' Pleco (Plecostomous-Algae eater) for 20-gallon~bigger for 'Bigger' tank!

I use a green scotch bright pad
They are easy to use don't scratch the glass and do a great job cleaning

I use a green scotch bright pad
They are easy to use don't scratch the glass and do a great job cleaning

Scotch brute sounds good, but are there any contaminants in them?

if I haven't killed my fish in the last 30 years I think there ok lol
just use one for your tanks and only for your tank you'll be fine
just don't cross contaminate it with chemicals

if I haven't killed my fish in the last 30 years I think there ok lol
just use one for your tanks and only for your tank you'll be fine
just don't cross contaminate it with chemicals

I haven't tried them yet but I think I'll do so tonight. Thank you for the tip!

Hi. New to site. Long time f/w fish enthusiast! Pleco's r excellent algae !! Do NOT 'Use' 'Chemical' cleaners! (I "Tried" & Killed fish/ Ruined my "Balances"! Found a (yellow) long handled (blue) scrubby cleaner that works Well!! On 'Soft' stuff and lime!!
My daughter bought me a "Food Scraper" (is 'Square'~w/1rounded corner. One side is 'Bubbled'~easie to hold. (Avail a $Tree's) works well! On cleaning 'hard' Algae!
"Best" suggestion~ buy 1 'small' Pleco (Plecostomous-Algae eater) for 20-gallon~bigger for 'Bigger' tank!

My pleco doesn't seem to want to eat the algae on the side of my glass I have spots everywhere and have to clean it every few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom