To Sump or Not to Sump - Freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBeta

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have that Fluval Edge copy that I've recently built/building here, and I'm considering using my old 10 gallon tank as a sump. I'm a sump noob but I've been researching it and have 99% of the materials available to execute this.

I'm thinking of doing a 3/4" pvc overflow like this one with a few modifications and using a sump pump I already have.

Are freshwater sumps worth it? My "Fedge" tank comes to just under 7 gallons and if I understand the sump correctly, I could probably get another five or six gallons out of the sump unless I'm grossly over estimating.

Input. Good or Bad idea?
Am I totally off my rocker?

40+ views and no input?
Did I post in the wrong section or is it just a bad idea?

I have a 90g reef ready and I use it as freshwater. My sump is 20 gallons. I don't find any problems. I have it to where I close a valve and can empty my sump for waterchanges. Then I refill with the hose turn on heater and add prime. Works very well for me.

Another plus is when my angels spawn (or other fish) I have an established tank to put the eggs/fry in. It has several advantages if setup properly.

I have a 90g freshwater with a 30g sump, and it works great for me. As a "bonus" I get to keep seeded media in it for quick qt or nursery tank start ups.

Well that is encouraging. I think I'm going to build a PVC overflow and start the 10g transformation into a sump. I think I have enough glass to engineer a sump of some sort.

since its for a fw tank, you can go as simple as two chambers- one for the actual filtration and one for the return area. my 30g sump is divided into three-one for main filtration, one for return area, and third area has some crushed coral in it and houses sponge filters when not being used. IMO sumps are a plus to have, they give you many options.

I've been reading up about measuring out the chambers. Are there any tricks or special calculations I should take into account?
Also what's a good turnover rate for the water. I've seen everything from 3-10x/ hr.

When I set up mine I based my measurements on what I found researching on the web. I have a great link on my PC with loads of info in sumps. Ill dig it out and post for you.
I've read 8-10x turnover rate is ideal. Mine is @ 10x and no problems. I do have a power head with quick filter just some extra clean up after my messy cichlids. Lol

Back
Top Bottom