Too much circulation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

th08tu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everybody,
I recently picked up a fluval 304 canister filter, that I have put on my 20 gallon tank. It cleans the water really well, and it is crystal clear, however I am a little worried that it might be too much movement in a tank that small. Currently in the tank are small cichilds that will be moving to a larger tank when they get bigger, but since they are messy fish I thought the higher filtration would be good for the water, but I don't want to stress out the fish with too much water flow. Anyways let me know what you guys think! Thanks everybody!

I think that is a bit of overkill and could be to much water movement for the fish, however, if that is the filter that you have, you might as well make use of it. To decrease the strenght of the outflow current you can get a sponge and slide it over the output. This will spread the flow around and should cut down on the whirlpool effect that it is bound to be having in the tank. Another way you can decrease the flow a bit is to tightly pack it with filter media.

ok that makes sense, the only reason i got it is because it was for a price that I couldn't say no too. Right now I have the output pointed at the glass so that the water is spread out and slowed a little. I also have the option of turning down the flow rate of the pump so I might do that too.

For my bettas filter, I went to WalMart and got this stuff called plastic canvas, cut a little piece off and hung that in front of the flow with fishing line. It disperses the water instead of it all spilling out in one place. It works really well and doesn't bother my bettas at all.

if the 305 is like the 305 and 405 i have, you should be able to decrease the flow rate right at the canister... mine has a valve that adjusts the flow from wide open, to completely shut off

you are right it does, but I was a little worried about whether or not this would reduce the lifetime of the motor? What is a spray bar, and would that help to spread out the outflow?

ive got a spray bar on my 405... it is just a piece of small pvc with small holes drilled every inch or so. it just spreads out the flow over the length of the tank instead of all of it coming from one little nozzle... also helps with surface agitation

Spray bar is a good idea. You could also get a spliter. That would put two openings on the output. Spray bar is good because you can put at top of water and have good top movement. If your output has to go down in tank then the spliter might work better. Either one is cheap and you could do yourself.

mbuna cichlids, are strong and can handle some current but not to much.
Nice, one of my favs....

ok, there is currently enough current tyo move food around the entire tank within a matter of about 15 seconds. I kind of like it like that because it means everybody gets food, and there are never any leftovers so I don't have to worry about that. so I think even though it is overkill on a tank this small it will be ok for now. Also in the near future, (6 months) this tank will be converted to a nano-reef, so the circulation will be really good for the corals I hope.

yeah thanks, I will probably post the journal on here as I know I will be in need of lots of help, I will probably start with a FOWLR tank and then slowly add corals as the tank stabilizes and I get a little more experienced dealing with a smaller tank.

When you do start the Nano research the fish because not all fish are compatable with corals.

just a note, make sure you upgrade to a 55g or larger for those fish... they will grow like crazy and wont be very happy at all in such a small tank.... but it sounds like you already knew that

Yup no worries, thanks thincat and mfd, I have a tank that is being cycled and is going to be the new home for the cichlids, and as for the nano once I move the cichilds from the 20g I will start it. As of right now I am only thinking about trying to get a pair of clowns, and a good cleanup crew. That way I know the tank won't be overcrowded and they are ok with corals. Probably no anenome for at least the first year, and then we will see how it goes...

Back
Top Bottom