Too much current

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tony1021

Aquarium Advice Activist
is it possible to have to much current?

i ask because i have a hydor koralia circulation pump and when i turn it on it seems as if there is too much flow in the water, my fish can't swim near it as it pushes them away and poor little horshoe crab ends up at the other end of the tank from all the force, other than this my corals seem fine with slightly more movement.

How big a tank do you have to keep a horseshoe crab in?

How big of tank and what size of koralia nano, 1, 2, 3, or 4?

Although, I don't think you can because I'm running 2 koralia 1's and a maxijet 1200 (1200 is for my skimmer) which is about 1100 gph on my 20 gallon and all my fish and coral are fine.

i have an ocean runner 2500 pump and i think the koralia i have is a 1 or 2...got a 55 gallon corner tank

i guess if you have so much water flow with a 20 gallon tank i should go ahead and leave it on then, lol

The current issue will depend on structure in the tank. Some fish do like quieter water, but no shallow ocean water is ever very quiet. If your rock is laid out so that there are areas with relatively low current where a fish could rest if it wanted to, they should be fine.

You know horseshoe crabs can grow to 2 feet long right?

well, just found out its a koralia 3 so i have about 1,450 gph...is that too much?

about the horshoe crabs, i doubt it will grow 2 feet inside my small tank

'about the horshoe crabs, i doubt it will grow 2 feet inside my small tank'

and there in lies the problem.

1400 gph is not too much flow inside your tank. You should give that much consideration to your crab

Horseshoe crabs can live over ten years. In your small tank, no it will not live that long or grow that large. It will die at some point when it has outgrown the space.

It does seem a bit too much current. Even the water flow on the bottom of your tank is swirling quite fast, so tone down your filter.

i don't have a filter only the powerhead...do you suggest redirecting the powerhead more towards the back of the tank?

Back
Top Bottom