Top fin filter 20g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You moved them thats stress by itself. Could been many things. Osmotic ?

Healthy fish rarely become filter casualties. At that flow rate....I cant see it as possible. Neons are not bullet proof. People run 2 and 3 times that flow in smaller tanks. 219 rated gph in my 10g no issues

You moved them thats stress by itself. Could been many things. Osmotic ?

Healthy fish rarely become filter casualties. At that flow rate....I cant see it as possible. Neons are not bullet proof. People run 2 and 3 times that flow in smaller tanks. 219 rated gph in my 10g no issues
Oh I see. My ram is okay hopefully

Typically considered much more durable fish. Bigger..able to handle changes better.

Good time to research osmotic. It will help you understand ph better too and why its not as important as once thought. Your case is a good example because they ph between tank should be close

I believe your tank is a 20 High not a long is that correct? The post you made about this stuff on your substrate. If your tank is a high and you only have a hundred gallons per hour I doubt you have enough flow in that tank. Just something to consider

Regarding the acclimation process, what steps did you take to move them from the 5g?
I usually do a drip acclimation for new arrivals and when moving specimens (depending on how long they've been in the current tank). Basically, it consists of using airline tubing as a siphon and a clamp or valve to slowly drip the water into a bucket (with the new inhabitants). I let it drip for 1-2 hours and then net them and add to the new tank.

I have generally found that neons are most at risk after a move. If they live 2 weeks after a move they live forever. Last time I bought 6 to add to my shoal they were all gone within a week.

It cant be flow issue it sick/stress issue. IMO its know where near enough filter

I'm not there of course, but I am inclined to agree with this. I have a Top Fin 10 that came with my 5.5G kit I use for a nursery. They are a strong pump compared to other inexpensive filters. I thought for sure it was too strong for my newly born guppy fry so I turned it off for a day. By day two it was back on and no problems. They are not powerful swimmers or smart enough to stay clear.

I could maybe see a guppy with an extremely large fantail having an accident. Other than that, weak fish. As much as I love neons, they are now a weak fish prone to problems. IMO it's entirely possible it's not even the OPs fault. A lot of experienced fish keepers tell me they don't recommend them for a new aquarists.

Regarding the acclimation process, what steps did you take to move them from the 5g?
I usually do a drip acclimation for new arrivals and when moving specimens (depending on how long they've been in the current tank). Basically, it consists of using airline tubing as a siphon and a clamp or valve to slowly drip the water into a bucket (with the new inhabitants). I let it drip for 1-2 hours and then net them and add to the new tank.
Oh I see what you mean by that. I moved them to a bucket for awhile with the new water, then put them in the new tank

I have generally found that neons are most at risk after a move. If they live 2 weeks after a move they live forever. Last time I bought 6 to add to my shoal they were all gone within a week.
Oh I see. Ill aim for the 2 weeks then!

I'm not there of course, but I am inclined to agree with this. I have a Top Fin 10 that came with my 5.5G kit I use for a nursery. They are a strong pump compared to other inexpensive filters. I thought for sure it was too strong for my newly born guppy fry so I turned it off for a day. By day two it was back on and no problems. They are not powerful swimmers or smart enough to stay clear.

I could maybe see a guppy with an extremely large fantail having an accident. Other than that, weak fish. As much as I love neons, they are now a weak fish prone to problems. IMO it's entirely possible it's not even the OPs fault. A lot of experienced fish keepers tell me they don't recommend them for a new aquarists.
I also happen to have a guppy in my 5 gallon right now with some Cory catfish.

Oh I see what you mean by that. I moved them to a bucket for awhile with the new water, then put them in the new tank

Did you scoop them out of the 5g and put them directly into the bucket (containing either treated water from the tap or treated water from the new tank)? It is possible the shock from the different water conditions was too much for the neons.

Did you scoop them out of the 5g and put them directly into the bucket (containing either treated water from the tap or treated water from the new tank)? It is possible the shock from the different water conditions was too much for the neons.
I put them in water from the new tank for about 20 minutes

Lack of filtration is secondary issue to over all health of tank.
Principles of aquarium (my opinion)
1. Heavy filtration with good flow
2. Heavy plant mass from day one. Preferably 50 percent minimum
3. Low fauna bioload
4. Heavy inverts (gastropods)

Back
Top Bottom