Top fin filter 20g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark_the_shark

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! I seem to be having trouble with my filter. Its the stock hang on filter that came with my topfin 20g starter kit. It seems to be too powerful. I noticed that when some of my fish swim by the get pulled in. Unfortunately I found one my neon tetras stuck to it this morning :(
Is there any way to adjust the flow? I was thinking about using a sponge on the filter

instead of adjusting flow, you could either purchase a new one and avoid the diy route.
Or you could get some window screening and some hair bands, tie the window screening (little cut of it) around the filters intake with the bands.

instead of adjusting flow, you could either purchase a new one and avoid the diy route.
Or you could get some window screening and some hair bands, tie the window screening (little cut of it) around the filters intake with the bands.
Wouldnt buying a new filter mess with the beneficial bacteria?
Ah I see, I might try that diy method

Id be shocked that its too powerful. Im not familiar with the specs of that filter but kits generally give you bare minimum.

Healthy fish typically dont get sucked in or stuck on intake. It can hapen but not often. Usually there a reason.

Id be shocked that its too powerful. Im not familiar with the specs of that filter but kits generally give you bare minimum.

Healthy fish typically dont get sucked in or stuck on intake. It can hapen but not often. Usually there a reason.
That makes sense about the minimum.
My neon tetra is literally sucked up, stuck against the filter pipe.

You said you just got fish..may have been something wrong with him.

What I can tell its 100gph. So with media and flow lets be conservative and say 85 gph.

Should not be too powerful imo.

You could put a foam prefilter (I use one on my shrimp tank). However, that may decrease the flow as it clogs.
I've used a stainless steel screen over the intake. Flow was not affected, however, the increased surface area decreased the "pull" if that makes sense.
That is not a lot of flow for a 20g. I was running a pair of AquaClear 50s (rated at 200 gph each) in that tank at one time. No problem for the fish or plants.
When did the neons show up in this tank? What kind of acclimation process did you use?

You could put a foam prefilter (I use one on my shrimp tank). However, that may decrease the flow as it clogs.
I've used a stainless steel screen over the intake. Flow was not affected, however, the increased surface area decreased the "pull" if that makes sense.
That is not a lot of flow for a 20g. I was running a pair of AquaClear 50s (rated at 200 gph each) in that tank at one time. No problem for the fish or plants.
When did the neons show up in this tank? What kind of acclimation process did you use?
I just added the neon tetras last night. What is acclimation process?

It is a 20 gallon from topfin

kk, I would just go the DIY route, cheaper and easier. Well I mean its cheaper if you have types of screen lying around lol!
You could also use different kinds of wire mesh. As a previous poster said a foam or sponge prefilter is also an Excellent idea

kk, I would just go the DIY route, cheaper and easier. Well I mean its cheaper if you have types of screen lying around lol!
You could also use different kinds of wire mesh. As a previous poster said a foam or sponge prefilter is also an Excellent idea
Okay, thanks for rhe advice. Is an overpowered filter a common thing?

It has to be the filter. Just came home and all 3 of my neon tetras passed away. 2 were stuck to the filter

Very common. Well depends really on many things, but I'd say its common yes. generally I get my filters (usually canisters, Hydor) 10 gallons up from what I have.
It was the stock one from the topfin 20g starter kit

It cant be flow issue it sick/stress issue. Imo its know where near enough filter

Back
Top Bottom