TOTAL DISASTER - 1500 Gallon tank gives way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess I don't know if it's covered for only the purchased value or total replacement. Think about it this way, if your roof gets hail damage, they don't pay you for the depreciated value, they pay you for a new roof at replacement cost - at least as long as it's not a rental property (landlord policy is ACV). So they may be covered for the replacement cost regardless of the price they paid for the used tank.

Believe it or not, someone on the GIRS website posted that the tank can be easily repaired and would be stronger than it would before the break. I know that you can indeed repair acrylic, but would you REALLY want to have a 1500 gallon tank, knowing that it exploded once?

I can see the insurance paying for the cost of the used tank, but not a brand new one. Technically the shop isn't out the cost of a brand new tank, they are only out the cost of that used one. I do agree that I would think the insurance would cover the cost of the used tank though.

Glad no one (and no fish) were hurt.

....Believe it or not, someone on the GIRS website posted that the tank can be easily repaired and would be stronger than it would before the break. I know that you can indeed repair acrylic, but would you REALLY want to have a 1500 gallon tank, knowing that it exploded once?

yes if it can repair i would want it but not for aquarium...might use it as hamster house....they really love it...LOL

In a way I am glad that it happened in a LFS and not a private home.
Can you imagine the damage It would do to your home if you had bought that tank!

I had a heck of a time trying to watch the video. I had to load that webpage 5-6 times before the video would finally play, and when I tried to replay it they covered the whole video with advertisements I couldn't see past. Is there a better place to see the video? I couldn't find anything on youtube or google.

For my tanks at home I'm playing around with the idea of having a second containment in case of leaks. Basically the aquarium stand would be a waterproof container at the base able to hold the volume of the tank, and as long as the leak wasn't too violent, the water would spill into the container in/around the base of the stand.

I just heard from the staff that insurance covered the total replacement cost and they are getting a brand new custom built tank in about 8 weeks.

Just watched the video, not as bad as you might imagine, that's gonna take you off your feet I would think. But thankfully I guess it's just a mopping up job?

That's great! we will get to see it filled after all. Can't wait.

fill slowly, inspect carefully. Ah to [moderator edit] with it, john john get the fire hose! we'll have it full in 10 minutes!

I'll take a trip out to see that when its up and running :) It'll be worth the 4 hour drive...got family there in DM as well so its not just any trip lol.

Back
Top Bottom