troubles with top fin equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadyfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gal with a topfin60 and a fluval u4 recently my top fin has been making a loud vibrating noise so I removed all the pieces cleaned the impeller well and put it all back the way it was and its still making the same loud noise I bought the filter at petsmart but don't have the recepit anymore, what should I do? If the topfin goes down will my fluval u4 be enough to handle my tank? I have a red tailed barracuda a tiger dat a bichir and a green cory

Thankyou I hope someone can give me some Insight because the filter has gotten louder

Can you isolate what's vibrating? It's possible the filter is out of level and the cover is vibrating. The filter could also be assembled incorrectly.

Was the impeller in good shape? I've had sand chew up impellers and the filter started screeching. I've got an AC50 with a damaged AC70 impeller that makes a vibrating sound right now. The impeller is a bit worn and the plastic piece with the blades doesn't fit the magnet very tightly any more.

The noise is defintely coming from the impeller well. I have taken it apart 3 times now cleaned it checked for damage and can see none I looked online and got the schematic of the filter and assembled everything they way it was instructed my nice visually pleasing tank is becoming a auditory annoyment. Can I bring it back to petsmart without the receipt? And will my other filter be able to handle my bioload s? It's a fluval u4 that I mainly use to push current

Does the impeller spin freely and smoothly on the shaft? If not, try soaking it in white vinegar for a while.

I can't make a call about the worthiness of your internal filter. I've never used them and I've never had big predators like you have.

I took the topfin back to a local petsmart, (their service is the worse BTW) and complained my way into an exchange for a aquaclear 70 not too happy about the price on filter media either but had to do it hope this one hacks it

Ok 6 hours in on the new ac70 and its making the same noise as the other filter was but not as often is karma screwing with me or what any thoughts?

No, not Karma. You get what you pay for. It's Topfin, petsmart brand. Thats the problem.

I turned the topfin in for a aquaclear and its doing the same thing maybe is be better off blowing bubbles through tubing, at least it would. E quieter

Probably grit in the impeller, again. What substrate do you have? I had fine sand for quite some time and went through many filters... Some small rocks can get in there sometimes if you have had a digging fish.

I do have fine sand as substrate should I make some sort of filter by stuffing the intake tube with some sponge to keep the sand out?

I tried many things and ended up switching substrate. :( Try looking for something you can cover the intake with which doesn't impede water flow, but I never found one...

Before the switch I tried many types of filters and spent soooo much money replacing them. It simply didn't seem worth it anymore.

If you decide to change like I did, remember to transfer the good bacteria by keeping some old substrate inside your tank (in a bucket which is fully submerged or something) and leave it there for a full week so the bacteria can begin to grow in your new substrate. I actually use a blend of gravel and rocks now and haven't had any problems. I kept the old sand in a circle and planted the plants in it, I then surrounded it by stones so that the fish couldn't get into the sandy area, this allowed me to keep a little bit of the substrate from the old in-place.

Could I just hang a old slide in filter from a good tank to seed the bacteria?

Could do, yeah. But try to maximise the chances by transferring as much as you can. :) I've personally only ever cycled one tank, all others I seeded.

Back
Top Bottom