truth about hob filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmkx3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay I am looking to put some additional filteration on my 125g tank. I recently had a mini cycle and I think my tank needs some help. I already have on hob skimmer, so why not an hob filter. I believe that they are easier to maintain, cheaper, no flooding problems, easier to set-up and you don't have to worry about power outages. Them being on the back isn't an issue for me. I'm thinking about an emperor 400/bio wheel and a uv sterilizer. What do you think?

125g,125lbs lr 3inch sandbed, pro prizm skimmer

foxface
2 percula's
3green chromis
coral beauty

Bio-Wheels do just what they are designed to do and that is to create bacteria to complete the nitrogen cycle just as any wet/dry filter would. Bacteria is created whether you use fresh, brackish, or saltwater and the amount of bacteria is in direct proportion to the bio-load in the tank.

Most of the Bio-Wheels receive the water after it’s gone through a basic filter/GAC filtration unit so essentially it never becomes clogged. The only exception to this is if you hook the Bio-Wheel up directly to a power head in which you should have a pre-filter/sponge put on the ph to avoid clogging.

It is extremely efficient at taking the toxic nh3/no2 and converting it to the less toxic no3 due to the large surface area and it constantly being exposed to oxygen. It can only create no3 from the nh3/no2 present in the tank and can not produce no3 on it’s own.

Any filtration unit can become clogged with improper maintenance and lead to excessive no3 due to the non-removal of excess waste which leads to excessive nh3 levels.

After using the Bio-Wheel for over 10 years in FW, Brackish, & SW I’ve never experienced no3 above 10 ppm and routinely keep it at 0 ppm by diligently cleaning the unit (About every 3 weeks) and by not overstocking/overfeeding my tanks. It’s easy to maintain/setup and is a great addition or alternative to SW tank owners who don’t want to use or fully depend on lr for bio-filtration.

Personally I use the Magnum 350 Pro in addition to 90 lbs of lr in my 55 along with a 20 gal sump/10 gal refugium. I like the 350 pro because it sits below the tank and is easy to maintain :D

I also love being able to just transfer one of the two wheels to my 20 gal qt tank for “instant” bio-filtration.

good to hear that, So all I really need to due is keep it clean. Do you replace the filter media every 3 weeks? What exactly do you do to maintain your bio-wheel system?

I usually run it empty with just the filter sleeve on and solely use it for water circulation and to run the bio-wheels. Occasionally I’ll run GAC, Chemi-Pure, Cuprisorb, PhosGuard, & Purigen for a week and then empty it out again for a month or more. Never run media for more then 3 weeks without replacing and personally I would only use media at the most for 2 weeks or less at a time and run it empty the rest of the time just using the filter sleeve to catch waste.

Main thing is to rinse the sleeve off every 3 weeks in old saltwater. You should never have to touch the bio-wheels but you will need to clean the spray bar about once every other month with a small bottle brush. Let the bio-wheels float in the main while cleaning.

I bought a 250 unit 9 years ago and haven’t had to replace a single part and it’s now on my qt tank. Also the Water Polishing Micron Cartridge is really nice for quickly clearing up a cloudy tank.

I would honestly rinse the filter media more often...weekly, especially if you plan to have any corals.

Will this tank have live rock? if so, then the filter media won't even really be used for beneficial bacteria...but simply mechanical filtration.

I've run an AC mini on my 40gal tank from time to time to remove surface scum, and just generally polish the water, and keep it well oxygenated (though my fish never gasp).

malkore said:
I would honestly rinse the filter media more often...weekly, especially if you plan to have any corals.

Weekly could be necessary depending on how much is fed but with every other day feedings that get eaten within 5 minutes and decent skimming it usually isn’t necessary from what I’ve experienced.

I’ve keep my no3 at <2.5 ppm or undetectable by cleaning every 3 weeks but I check my no3 weekly just to make sure.

If larger more messy fish like puffers/triggers are kept then weekly would probably be needed to keep the sleeve clean.

Well, I have always used them, rinsing the pads biweekly, replacing monlthy.
I do run carbon for the most part... it works for me and it keeps my tank pristine and clear. I also use a wetdry with my tanks, 1-2 lbs LR per gallon and plenty of flow, so I know I had all I needed but I like the little extra. Just my 2cents :)

I have 125lbs of lr but I still had a mini cycle. No deaths or anyting like that. This is really all new to me, my tank was set-up in Oct and the cycle scared me. I know how fragile saltwater fish can be. Not to mention the small fortune already invested

I just recently added a Biowheel 400 to my 40gal and it is working great. Much more efficient the the cheap Aquaclear filter i Had on (which BTW broke and flooded my livingroom)

I have been using carbon as well as a phosphate adsorber for addded insurance. Its only been a week, but my PO4 and Nitrates have never been lower.

tecwzrd said:
I usually run it empty with just the filter sleeve on and solely use it for water circulation and to run the bio-wheels. Occasionally I’ll run GAC, Chemi-Pure, Cuprisorb, PhosGuard, & Purigen for a week and then empty it out again for a month or more. Never run media for more then 3 weeks without replacing and personally I would only use media at the most for 2 weeks or less at a time and run it empty the rest of the time just using the filter sleeve to catch waste.

Main thing is to rinse the sleeve off every 3 weeks in old saltwater. You should never have to touch the bio-wheels but you will need to clean the spray bar about once every other month with a small bottle brush. Let the bio-wheels float in the main while cleaning.

I bought a 250 unit 9 years ago and haven’t had to replace a single part and it’s now on my qt tank. Also the Water Polishing Micron Cartridge is really nice for quickly clearing up a cloudy tank.

That type of maintenance would go for a canister also........correct?

For any external filtration really including wet/dry systems. Keeping external filtration free of excess waste by cleaning weekly/monthly depending on how dirty they get, bio-load, feeding schedule, & whether or not a skimmer is used is always necessary to keep your no3 low or undetectable.

A proper pwc schedule of 10% weekly or a minimum of 20% monthly is highly recommended also. Especially if keeping no3 sensitive inverts.

Back
Top Bottom