Tunze 9002 protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been having a hard time trying to find info on this. I have a newer 29g biocube and want to get the tunze 9002 skimmer for it. I saw that InTank makes a square collection cup for this skimmer. Will the skimmer fit and allow the lid to close with the stock (round) collection cup?

I'm guessing not...... I've got the 28 nanocube with the 9002 & the InTank skinny cup. My skimmer is 2 1/4' wide, and the stock cup is 4" diameter, which is almost 1" hanging off the skimmer on each side. Looking at pics of the rear of the Biocube, I don't think it would fit..... Probably want this cup:

Upgraded Tunze Cup

Thanks, I'm still debating on getting one or not. My tank has been running for about 2.5 months with just a cleanup crew inside. I just bought a royal gramma yesterday. I plan on eventually stocking a pair of clowns, a goby and maybe a couple of shrimp. I do weekly 5 gallon water changes religiously. I have read some people would recommend a skimmer and others say its no necessary.
Does anyone have experience with the biocube brand skimmers?

If this is the one you're referring to, don't walk away.... run.

Oceanic Systems » BioCube Protein Skimmer | Products

I had picked up the similar one JBJ puts out for the Nano, and it worked OK, but even after break-in, it required constant adjustment as the airstone wears out. After the airstone is replaced, then it has to be dialed back down and then the same cycle all over again..... on a near monthly basis. Very aggravating!!!

The only thing about the 9002 is that it's pretty sensitive to water level changes, so it needs to go into a constant-level chamber, not the one that drops from evap. Once it's broken in & dialed in, it pulls a fairly consistent skimmate...... light to medium tea color with my 2 fish (Ocellaris & Six-line).

As far as NEEDING a skimmer on a nano.... probably not. But if you want to keep corals and have more than a couple fish, especially a pair of clowns, I'd recommend one if you can. IMO, clowns are like little mini oscars of the salty world... very messy poopers for their size.

Phranque said:
If this is the one you're referring to, don't walk away.... run.

Oceanic Systems » BioCube Protein Skimmer | Products

I had picked up the similar one JBJ puts out for the Nano, and it worked OK, but even after break-in, it required constant adjustment as the airstone wears out. After the airstone is replaced, then it has to be dialed back down and then the same cycle all over again..... on a near monthly basis. Very aggravating!!!

The only thing about the 9002 is that it's pretty sensitive to water level changes, so it needs to go into a constant-level chamber, not the one that drops from evap. Once it's broken in & dialed in, it pulls a fairly consistent skimmate...... light to medium tea color with my 2 fish (Ocellaris & Six-line).

As far as NEEDING a skimmer on a nano.... probably not. But if you want to keep corals and have more than a couple fish, especially a pair of clowns, I'd recommend one if you can. IMO, clowns are like little mini oscars of the salty world... very messy poopers for their size.

Thanks for the words. I was kind of suspicious of the biocube skimmer. I think I'll get the tunze. Never thought of clowns like that, good to know!
Which chamber is the low evap one on a biocube?

Which chamber is the low evap one on a biocube?

Should be the one the return pump is in..... couldn't tell you exactly which one since I don't own one. I think, if you're looking at your tank from the front, it will be your far left chamber......

I have a tunze 9002 in my 29 cube . In tank makes a collection cup for it so u can close the lid but personally I don't get very much skimmage from it and water level adjustment is a pain w this setup

I have a tunze 9002 in my 29 cube . In tank makes a collection cup for it so u can close the lid but personally I don't get very much skimmage from it and water level adjustment is a pain w this setup

Yeah, I heard the water adjustment is a pain. What is your tank stocked with? I'm not sure if I'm going to be stocked heavily enough for a skimmer or not. I have one Royal Gramma and am planning on two Clowns and a Goby, plus a cleanup crew and one or two shrimp.

I personally think the adjustment issue is just due to the fact that it needs a while to truly break in. And no, you're not going to get the really dark, skanky skimmate that the big boys produce.... most nanos don't have enough bioload to get that kind of skimmate, anyway.
Here's my cup with two fish (Ocellaris & Six-line), and it still produces a medium tea colored skimmate with some gunk to it. If you're looking at four fish in your nano, especially a pair of clowns, I'd recommend it....

Attachments

• photo57.JPG
    photo57.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 141
Back
Top Bottom