Two days of FluvalC3 are enough .. Best quiet filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul1792

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is a warning to others and a request for a suggested replacement. Complaints like mine are commonplace.

In my opinion, the Fluval C series has to be most over rated piece of junk on the market. Mine sounds like a small diesel engine.
On my 29 gallon, the rattling noise + water splashing + having to counter-intuitively keep the lid off to dampen the vibration .... is so annoying I thought I had just gotten a lemon ..... but no ..... it's NORMAL. And the cure for the rattling appears worse than the disease .. so remove motor ..... spread Vaseline on it ..... and wait for the leaks.... NO THANKS.

This youtube video explain::

Troubleshooting Fluval Filter - YouTube

(just google fluval c series rattle for the litany of complaints)

The Aqua-Tech 30-60 on my 38 gallon isn't any quieter ..... it's just not annoying .... it's got a pleasant "white noise." I love that filter because it's so customizable ..... (I have it packed full of all kinds of media).

Can someone recommend the most quiet and customizable 200 or so GPH HOB filter for a 29 gallon? Both the Aqueon 30 and 50 (200GPH, 250GPH) are on sale for $20 each on Amazon. Are these quiet ...... and do they have plenty of space to allow for customization?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts with me.

I am just going to write off the C3 as a bad experience and move on to something else.

I use the Penguin 200s. I have 2 of them on my 56 and don't even know they're running.

I took out the biowheel and run Purigen and Matrix (both Seachem products), along with floss and a 50 micron pad in each.

Thanks

I use the Penguin 200s. I have 2 of them on my 56 and don't even know they're running.

I took out the biowheel and run Purigen and Matrix (both Seachem products), along with floss and a 50 micron pad in each.

That biowheel is what kept me from getting one before. I didn't know you could simply remove it. Sounds like a good choice .... I use purigen and matrix as well.

Reading reviews on many filters, this "noisy impeller" issue appears to be an industry wide consistency problem. You wouldn't think even the high end units suffer the same defects as the walmart versions.

I had the issue with the 200s in the beginning, and just put a (*very*) thin coating of vaseline on the magnet, and they are completely silent now, over 20 months later.

In my completely unscientific estimation, I think that the impeller magnets just need a little lubrication in the beginning. After a while, a little coating of "slime" (probably algae) seems to build up on it, which takes over.

Also, if you ditch the cartridges (and biowheel) that Marineland sells, you will get better filtration out of the Matrix/Purigen/floss combo.

Thanks for the tip .... maybe I'll give mine a few more days before ordering a Penguin. I hesitate to take the motor off because of the horror stories I've read about leaks on those units.

Your advice on media sounds spot on. In my aqua-tech 300 GPH in my 38 gallon tank, I have 100 micron filter media pads + purigen + fluval carbon bio bag + matrix + acurel nitrate reducing pad + the original aqua-tech BIO-Fiber.
I guess you could call my water "well polished." (There is no more available space in my filter housing.)

WRT the impeller noise, with the Penguin units, you don't have to remove the motor to get to the impeller, it comes right out of the top of the unit, so no need to worry about post-service leaks.

Yeah the aqueons are basically silent but you will want to buy your own media and not use the cartridge that comes with because it is not enough media. Aqua clears are also good hobs.

In my completely unscientific estimation, I think that the impeller magnets just need a little lubrication in the beginning. After a while, a little coating of "slime" (probably algae) seems to build up on it, which takes over.

This is precisely what happens. Now to the OP, the C series is not junk and it works very well, IMO. It starts off a little noisy, so did all my Aqua Clear filters. But once the impeller builds up a slime coat, it's dead quiet. I've 'broken the seal' plenty of times on both the C series and Aqua Clears to get to the impeller for cleaning. In the many years of using them, I have yet to experience any leaks. Let's not jump the gun here and assume things.

This is precisely what happens. Now to the OP, the C series is not junk and it works very well, IMO. It starts off a little noisy, so did all my Aqua Clear filters. But once the impeller builds up a slime coat, it's dead quiet. I've 'broken the seal' plenty of times on both the C series and Aqua Clears to get to the impeller for cleaning. In the many years of using them, I have yet to experience any leaks. Let's not jump the gun here and assume things.
Thanks for the response. I emailed Hagen in hopes they will send me a new impeller.

I must say, after looking how the complaints of noise level on Amazon.com reviews of almost all name brand filters purchased in the last two years, it is clear product quality is deteriorating industry wide. Thus, I'll probably just live with the C3 for a while ...... even if it does not get any quieter.

It's just not relevant.

Check out this thread by Convict. He switched from an Aqua Clear to the Fluval C4. At first he was also complaining of how loud it was (in his thread and YouTube video), then he reported it quieted down significantly... after your thread here, I asked him if his is still quiet... this might help relieve some of your apprehensions.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/convicts-first-go-at-a-planted-tank-252391-136.html

I have to put up with this noise problem for what ............. a year ??????????? Forget it. I am going to return it if possible.

Mine is so annoying ........ you can hear it at the other end of the house. It has to be unplugged to sleep. Sending it back if I can ........... absolutely no response from Hagen who promises 24 hour response time. Well............... it's been 36 hours and ZERO.

This filter is the worst thing that could happen.

I have never asked for an exchange or refund of anything from Amazon. This will be my first time. Since you cannot leave a tank without a filter for days on end, I am buying a new one.

DO NOT BUY THIS WORTHLESS FILTER>

If I get a refund from Amazon for this POS filter, I'll just apply it to the next purchase I make since I use them all the time.

Life is too short to worry about saving money on the best filters ......... Yes, Petland is overpriced ....... but they allow convenient returns.

**** this kind of crap reminds me so much of GM/FORD/CHRYLER of the 1980's. Do they think they own the market ?

No. There will be another (probably foreign brand ...... soon.

Just like my entire family has bought nothing but Toyota & Lexus for the past 23 years. We so gave up the American branded car so easy.

I own two Aqua Clear 50s. The first one was quiet, however, the second one was not. I switched the impellers and now both are silent.

I have to put up with this noise problem for what ............. a year ??????????? Forget it. I am going to return it if possible.

Mine is so annoying ........ you can hear it at the other end of the house. It has to be unplugged to sleep. Sending it back if I can ........... absolutely no response from Hagen who promises 24 hour response time. Well............... it's been 36 hours and ZERO.

This filter is the worst thing that could happen.

I have never asked for an exchange or refund of anything from Amazon. This will be my first time. Since you cannot leave a tank without a filter for days on end, I am buying a new one.

DO NOT BUY THIS WORTHLESS FILTER>

If I get a refund from Amazon for this POS filter, I'll just apply it to the next purchase I make since I use them all the time.

Life is too short to worry about saving money on the best filters ......... Yes, Petland is overpriced ....... but they allow convenient returns.

**** this kind of crap reminds me so much of GM/FORD/CHRYLER of the 1980's. Do they think they own the market ?

No. There will be another (probably foreign brand ...... soon.

Just like my entire family has bought nothing but Toyota & Lexus for the past 23 years. We so gave up the American branded car so easy.

Well good luck to you! Guess you're entitled to your own "opinion." Sounds like you need a hug or something... LOL

Last edited:
Well good luck to you! Guess you're allowed your own "opinion." Sounds like you need a hug or something... LOL

Thanks, but no ........... I just want a quiet filter. I get plenty of hugs at home :)

I have a great family life. That is what counts ........ I am just irritated at a poor product quality followed by poor customer service.

I have a AquaClear 50 and I believe the Fulval C series is similar. My filter made a VERY loud and irritating noise to begin with. I did some research and this is a common problem with all filters that have impellers. The solution is to either try to wait it out and see if it "breaks in" and eventually builds a slime coating or to simply remove the impeller and rub a coat of Vasaline on the impeller shaft and it should be MUCH quieter. Just make sure that the impeller is sitting properly. (You can see videos on YouTube on how to do this) The Vasaline solution made my filter bearable, but it was still just slightly noticeable. After a month or so I guess a slime coat developed or something and now I can't hear it or anything. If you are still just completely unsatisfied with your filter a AquaClear would be a good choice. AquaClear is top-of-the-line. I think the Fluval C series would be good too because AquaClear and Fluval are both under the company "Hagen" I believe. Now AquaClear is advertised as "Fluval AquaClear"

I hope this can be of some help to you. I wasn't satisfied with my filter for the first 2 weeks or so but now I don't regret buying it at all. Just try the Vasaline fix (Remember you can look it up on YouTube) if that makes it bearable just wait awhile and see if it improves. It should, it did for me at least.

Also about the leaking you mentioned. I have removed the motor on mine several times by taking the filter, (make sure to unplug it first) pour the water from it into the tank or a sink or something, and simply take off the motor. Never had any leaks.

I have a AquaClear 50 and I believe the Fulval C series is similar. My filter made a VERY loud and irritating noise to begin with. I did some research and this is a common problem with all filters that have impellers. The solution is to either try to wait it out and see if it "breaks in" and eventually builds a slime coating or to simply remove the impeller and rub a coat of Vasaline on the impeller shaft and it should be MUCH quieter. Just make sure that the impeller is sitting properly. (You can see videos on YouTube on how to do this) The Vasaline solution made my filter bearable, but it was still just slightly noticeable. After a month or so I guess a slime coat developed or something and now I can't hear it or anything. If you are still just completely unsatisfied with your filter a AquaClear would be a good choice. AquaClear is top-of-the-line. I think the Fluval C series would be good too because AquaClear and Fluval are both under the company "Hagen" I believe. Now AquaClear is advertised as "Fluval AquaClear"

I hope this can be of some help to you. I wasn't satisfied with my filter for the first 2 weeks or so but now I don't regret buying it at all. Just try the Vasaline fix (Remember you can look it up on YouTube) if that makes it bearable just wait awhile and see if it improves. It should, it did for me at least.

Thank for sharing your story. It gave me hope.

Since the tank is so new ...... the last thing I should be doing is changing out the filter before beneficial bacteria has built up. If no improvement in two weeks, I'll try the Vaseline thing.

Hey here is a killer ........ the instructions say replace the gasket (motor seal ring) every year ........ the price ..... should be 25 cents, right?

Nope ..... $13.22 for three !!!!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZT2GZI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Take the gasket to a local hardware store, I'll bet it isn't a special size, and something you can find for less.

Thank for sharing your story. It gave me hope.

Since the tank is so new ...... the last thing I should be doing is changing out the filter before beneficial bacteria has built up. If no improvement in two weeks, I'll try the Vaseline thing.

Hey here is a killer ........ the instructions say replace the gasket (motor seal ring) every year ........ the price ..... should be 25 cents, right?

Nope ..... $13.22 for three !!!!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZT2GZI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Glad I could help!

Back
Top Bottom