Two Thermometer with different readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hubert90

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an aquaone easy read thermometer that's submerged and one aqua one digital thermometer with a probe both in the same tank but I'm getting different readings. One reads 26.5 ( probe) one reads 27.5 ( submerged) both in celsius. So I'm not sure which one to believe so to say. I want an accurate reading because yesterday I received my jäger heater and when it opened it the calibration button was pulled up (on) so i used my thermometer (probe) to recalibrate it. Argh what should I do. I wanna achieve a 26.6 ~ 27 degree for my Betta. Anyone help?

It is not unusual for thermometers do be slightly off. If you go the store and look at the ones on display you will be amazed at the different readings on all of them. The tow you have are only a degree apart, assume halfway is right and go with that. An exact reading is not all that important a degree or two will not bother the fish.

It is not unusual for thermometers do be slightly off. If you go the store and look at the ones on display you will be amazed at the different readings on all of them. The tow you have are only a degree apart, assume halfway is right and go with that. An exact reading is not all that important a degree or two will not bother the fish.

+1 One degree difference is within acceptable range of error for two different everyday thermometers. Keeping a stable temp via a reliable heater is the key.

Hubert90,
I also am always looking for the correct/accurate temp and I find the best way is to buy 3 or 4 thermometers of the same brand and you'll usually get 2 or 3 that are the same temp. I buy the glass floating thermometers with suction cups. They run a little less than $3.00 a piece (online). I've spent more money on the expensive thermometers only to find they break alot easier than the cheapo's.
I've also found that most heaters are not calibrated accurately so you usually have to use a thermometer to get a good reading. So a heater dial my say 80 degrees but It may only be 78 degrees according to a thermometer. So I always go with the thermometer reading.

Dennis

Back
Top Bottom