Under gravel filter questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ematthews

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my first time using an under gravel filter so I have a couple questions. First, when do I change out the carbon and airstones? Also, how often do I clean out the actual trays in the bottom?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130330_161614.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130330_161614.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 74
  • ForumRunner_20130330_161652.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130330_161652.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 55
This is my first time using an under gravel filter so I have a couple questions. First, when do I change out the carbon and airstones? Also, how often do I clean out the actual trays in the bottom?
:welcome: to AA. I'm not too familiar with undergrounds, so I can't help you there....

I don't know to much about under gravel filters as i think they was something big in the 1980s things have moved on a lot since then an you can get much better care free results from a cheap internal filter

I had an underground filter on my very first tank when I was a kid (as stated above, back in the '80s :lol: ).

I do not remember how often I changed the carbons, but I'd only clean the grates (and under it) every 8-12 months when it was time for a whole tank cleaning. I did a lot of things incorrectly with that tank though, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the advice. Ive decided to get a hob filter as its been recommended from multiple places, so no more need for this thread I guess.

Thanks for the advice. Ive decided to get a hob filter as its been recommended from multiple places, so no more need for this thread I guess.
Good choice. It'll save you so much hassle and work!!!. I believe Aquaclear make a good HOB.....

Back
Top Bottom