Undergravel filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydavis

Aquarium Advice Regular
i was looking on fish.com at the different stuff and seen this system and want to ask what you think of it and and what i might need to go with it like what hooks up to it

Attachments

• aquatic edge undergravel bio filter.jpg
    aquatic edge undergravel bio filter.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 3,019
I wouldn't recommend a UGF, they end up being more of a hassle than they are worth down the road.

old school the people who still use it use it as a RUGF. they use power heads to push water down the tubes and up though the gravel. this turns the whole gravel bed into a bio filter.

I just removed ugf's from 2 of my tanks. They both had tons of gunk under them. I do deep gravel vac's and still the stuff was under there. I took them out because I couldnt control the Nitrates in those two tanks. I wouldnt take an undergravel filter right now if you gave me one. JMO

i am currently runnning one on my 125...the prime reason is just what they are not wanting. It came with my tank #1 and #2 i thing its helping quicken my cycle by trapping some of that gunk...once i began stocking it has to go...if you dont have it dont buy it but i think its worth the use if laying around and trying to do a cycle.

I used UGFs for the better part of 20 years. Just set up my 55 again on 1/1/9 and used it for 4 months and switched to a Marineland C-360 canister and it couldn't have been a better decision. I pulled 1 or the 2 filter plates out and made a glorious mess. I thought I'd do better on the second (2 weeks later, allowed time for bio community in canister to ramp up) but it was just as bad if not worse.

Now, my tank is easy to maintain and clean. I will never go back. And if you read enough threads, you will find one of mine where I defended / justified it for a while.

Also do yourself a favor and buy a Python. They rock. Big Al's Online has great prices. I've seen a knock-off at Wal-Mart and Petco which I'm sure it fine but Big Al's has a great price on the original.

I used UGFs for the better part of 20 years. Just set up my 55 again on 1/1/9 and used it for 4 months and switched to a Marineland C-360 canister and it couldn't have been a better decision. I pulled 1 or the 2 filter plates out and made a glorious mess. I thought I'd do better on the second (2 weeks later, allowed time for bio community in canister to ramp up) but it was just as bad if not worse.

Now, my tank is easy to maintain and clean. I will never go back. And if you read enough threads, you will find one of mine where I defended / justified it for a while.

Also do yourself a favor and buy a Python. They rock. Big Al's Online has great prices. I've seen a knock-off at Wal-Mart and Petco which I'm sure it fine but Big Al's has a great price on the original.
c
I got the knock-off from walmart for $25.. couldnt find them cheaper anywhere... it works great. python brand or not, get one... it made my life sooooo much easier

Back
Top Bottom