Undergravel Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angels004

Aquarium Advice Regular
are undergravel filters as affective and the bio wheel filters because they seems pretty cheap...like there is one at petsmart for 5.00!! but im looking at the one that is 14.99 because of the higher price does that mean its better ? im just interested in the undergravel filters because i hear they are better, any ideas ? and what type of filter to use!

oops! :eek: i meant to say are undergravel filters as affective as the bio wheel filters
--my mistake

Over the past decade or so the use of UGF has been downplayed to the point that they are rarely used given todays better options. A UGF filter will ultimately create more problems versus any good they may do. High nitrates for example. Also, down the road should the UGF need to be removed you risk exposing your fish to all of the BAD things that accumalate under the filter plates. Here is a link to an article that convinced me to stay away from UGF in my tank. Hope it helps. Canister and power filter filtration are definitely the way to go on your average community tanks. Of course there are better options as well for reef situations, etc. that I am not versed in. HTH

http://www.bestfish.com/ug.html

a canister filter is a filter that sits outside the tank and u run 2 hoses to the tank.
canister allow u to habve different medi in it and u can ajust the output..

sorry im asking alot of questions, but i just want to make sure to get off on the right track

At this point you need to let us know what you are trying to build. Size tank, FW or SW, Live plants or fish only, type of species you will keep, etc. Then we can help you with recommended filter types. There are many, many brands and models to choose from and when you get right down to it they are priced similarly as well. But they all perform many of the same functions. Canister filters as has been pointed out give you many options that you can customize to best provide filtration for your tank. This is done through differing media material. I prefer to run both power filter (HOB) and canister together. The power filters IMO do not filter small enough particulates and I like my water sparkling clear! I have found the bio-wheel on my Emperor 400 does a terrific job for biological filtration but a bio-wheel on a SW tank (I have heard) can turn into a nitrate fatory so watch out. Do a search on this site and Google and you will find more information than you can possibly read in months!! :D

Good Luck, your in a good place. Lots of folks to help you through your new tank. Remember, be patient and your fish will ultimately love you for it! :)

The main benefit of a canister filter over a bio wheel filter comes down to two things.....Filtering capacity, which is only a consideration for 20 gallons + and that you can use more filter material. What size is your tank?

Depends on the size of your tank. Canister filters have a much larger volume per hour capacity and you have much more variation and volume of filter medium. What size is your tank?

Sorry, my mistake. I thought my first post did not make it! Its ten gallons! There we go! I would personally be happy to use a bio wheel on this size tank

Back
Top Bottom