Uneven floor question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missus_e

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all! I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank* that has been neglected in terms of aquascaping while we did some remodelling in the house. We've finally finished the living room, and moved the tank out here from the bedroom on a nice new stand. When we set it up, I had an unnerving feeling that the floor was not level, but I wasn't sure how unlevel it was. I put a level on it, and the bubble wasn't perfectly in the center but close - an edge of it was creeping over one of the lines. My husband was sure that I was being crazy and there was no problem, and I hope he's right. Now that a little bit of water has evaporated and it's overdue for a water change (and a major overhaul in general, please ignore the awful state of the plants in there!), I can see precisely how unlevel it is from the level of water - it's a little under half an inch closer to the top on the left side.

How concerned about this would you be? I know that most floors aren't perfectly even, but I also know that unequal pressure on different parts of the tank and stand can cause a catastrophe later. My question is, where is the line between okay and not? Half an inch seems like kind of a lot to me but I'll admit I have an almost pathological phobia of a tank breaking, so I may be making too much of it. What do you think? Thank you in advance!

(*And yes, assuming that I get this level issue sorted out enough to keep the tank, I do plan on a significant tank size upgrade within the year, if you noticed the clown loach hanging out at the bottom. :) )

Attachments

• 1425538_10201080619924229_1207318665_n.jpg
    1425538_10201080619924229_1207318665_n.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 81
Having a 100 year old house, I know how you feel. It'll be fine! :D

You could easily level the stand. Not a big job and it'll give you peace of mind

+1 , you can buy shims at any home improvement store and level it right up.. You may have to add another later on when the shims compress from the weight of the tank..

Back
Top Bottom