Uneven tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieMomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is leaning a little toward the back. It's a fully filled 55 gal. Should be worried?It's been like this since I first filled it. I had checked for right/left leans but not front/back.

How much of a difference is there? If is it small (like 1/4 to 1/8 inch) then there shouldn't be a problem. If it is larger then you would need to put in shims under the stand to try and level it out.

My tank is leaning a little toward the back. It's a fully filled 55 gal. Should be worried?It's been like this since I first filled it. I had checked for right/left leans but not front/back.

Good morning jen...

Never had a tank that was completely level. If you placed the tank on a strong surface and just forgot to level it, then I wouldn't worry about it. I have a 38 G tank I put on the floor and forgot to level it. It's about a quarter of an inch off and it's been running for a couple of years with no problem. Just keep the water topped off and it will look fine.

The more I think about it, I'd be inclined to leave it alone. You may do more harm than good trying to level a tank that size.

B

Not trying to scare you, but I believe I've read people claiming that having their tank on an unlevel surface caused a stress crack....and a big mess.

That is correct if it is a large difference, like 1/2" or so. That would put a lot of additional stress on the glass and seems. Small differences should be find. My tank was 1/4" off from side to side on a 55g tank for 2 years without problems.

Back
Top Bottom