Unscrewing RO/DI Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscamaro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So it's been 45min and no matter how hard I try I cannot unscrew the last filter. The first 2 filters were a pain in the @$$ to unscrew, but have been done. Now this last 1 I have been on for a good 30min doing everything I can think of.

It's a 5-stage unit from FilterDirect and all lines have been disconnected.

The plastic wrench it came with (that barely helped get the others off) broke; because (yes), it's on that tight. Also if you're wondering, the wrench was at the very top.

I have also used the hammer-tapping method to help release pressure, and it hasn't budged. :banghead:

I would really like not to destroy this unit so any insightful feedback would be wonderful.

Why so tight are you really socking it home I have the same filter with no problem like that . Try putting some vaseline on the o rings and on the threads then hand tighten it and give it a snugging with the wrench that should help. You could also use a pipe wrench with a rag around it so as not to damage the finish, ive done that also .Just go easy if you try the latter.

I had the same problem before. What I did was take a big dish towel and rapped it around the canister and twisted the two ends together real tight and it came free with no problem. I ever ordered a new wrench but never us it now

Back
Top Bottom