Upgrading from 30-88 gal. Seeking advise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lovin Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am seeking advise reguarding equipment my 88 gallon tropical freshwater tank. I desire equipment that will keep my fish happy and healthy while being cost-effective, low maintenance, reliable, and easy to use.
Here's the tank plan: Freshwater Tropical Community Tank.
88 gallon (48" long, 19" wide, 22" Tall) partially planted tank, mixed sand & fine gravel substrate, decorative shells, driftwood, with glass cats, various small to medium tetras (maybe), singapore shrimp, corydoras, kuhli loaches, pleco, kribensis pair & 1 betta. The tank will be set up to provide plants for betta and others who love plants tapering into the open water/free swimming area with middle tank current flow and a nook for the kribensis (opposite end of the betta).

I can't wait to hear back! So exciting! Thanks a bunch!!!

Where did you find that tank? Those are some great dimensions!!

One thing Id suggest is a good filter such as a canister one from Fluval. Check local areas selling equipment as well, such as Craigslist. Plenty of great deals here there may be some in Alaska as well. Good used equipment at good prices if you look around.

What kind of pleco are you looking at currently?

Thanks so much for replying! :lol: I posted on craigslist! Some man had inherited a house that had the tank in the basement. We had been looking for a 75 for ever! Finally got lucky and got a bigger tank Who-hoo!

I found someone selling an un-opened Mariland 350 Magnum Canister filter. What do you think of those? I read reviews and it was really mixed. Does it make a difference between brands? Which brands are best in your opinion?

We will be moving our fish from the 30 gallon to the 88 gallon. The common pleco came with the 30 gallon tank as did an old white skirt. I am trying to find him a suitable home. He is roughly 4" long...maybe 5". Too big for our tank, and too messy for my liking. I really like the spotted sailfin pleco, but they get too large too if I remember right. I want a pleco that will not outgrow my 88 gallon. I'm open for suggestions ;) I love pictus cats, but they eat shrimp, so they won't work. Stocking is tough! I'm exhausted from reading about hundreds of species!
Talk to you soon. :thanks:

Amanda

As far as canister filters go I really like the Rena Filstar XP's they are very reliable, and very easy to service, one lever shut of and no leaks. For HOB filters my choice would be Aqua Clear, for your size tank, I would suggest the AC110.

Thank you! I've taken note and will head to the store tommorrow! Hope I can find these locally! If not, do you know of reliable, cost friendly sites?

Wow lucky find! I love Craigslist for that sort of stuff.

Marineland is a good company. I have a lot of their biowheel filters that are (kinda loud) but do a great job. Im not too sure about that filter. I was looking at one a while ago and I'm sure it should do fine. Itll be worth trying since you already own it. I like the Fluval Canister filters and AquaClear filters are very good filters as well.

I have a sailfin pleco in my 55gal currently. By the time I am done school I should have a much larger tank for him. That common should be ok in your 88 for some time as it grows, then eventually trading or giving him to the fish store. Mine is happy hiding under all the driftwood and eating it as well. Some cool ones are the Green Phantom Pleco (L200), Gold Nugget Pleco (L081), and Leopard Frog Pleco (L134). Hopefully some of these are available in Alaska

Lol I liked reading about all the different plecos. Check out PlanetCatfish • Cat-eLog • All L-Numbers for some more info on cool plecos. Search the "L" numbers above on this website.

Sorry for the long post! Lots of information out there I know ha causes much of a headache

Amazon sells for cheap usually by the way

Hey 907!

Those 350s are really popular at all the LFS in Anchorage. I have two but I really feel they are inferior to the Fluvals you can get cheaper at Amazon. And right now they are still honoring free shipping to AK.

Hey back at ya 907! ;-) I'm in Juneau. Wish we had descent stores. Petco just opened here...no buying fish from them though is what I've learned by internet searches. We have a couple owned pet shop that has spendy stuff, but besides some wrong stocking info, they have been great.
Thank you everyone for your help. Now at least I can get to buying some of the equipment! Being new to this, I am really thankful for forums with great people like this one! Your suggestions have gotten so much closer to setting up my tank then I would have been otherwise.
@ USER "Thank you for that sucker fish site! It rocks!!! I will have a few days ahead of me at that site for sure. I really liked the L081 you suggested. He's beautiful!"

No problem! it is a great site with lots of info.

Back
Top Bottom