Used equipment questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yao

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm planning on buying a used 55 gallon tank, and the person selling is also selling their equipment. He has a Penguin Biowheel 330, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this filter is good for a 55 gallon, or should I not bother and just buy my own? Any recommendations? Also, what is an under cabinet filter? Someone else selling a 55 gallons said they have that, but I'm not sure what that even is.... Thanks! 8)

Its hard to say what an under the cabinet filter is as it could be a wet/dry filter or it could be a canister filter. Either would be stored under the cabinet but the two are very different.

To give better advice on if the Biowheel 330 will be good for the 55 it will be good to know what your intents are with the tank. Are you looking for freshwater, or saltwater. Community fish only or plants if its freshwater or what kind of saltwater tank if its salt. Depending on your ultimate use of the tank the filtration equipment thats best for the job can be very different.

It would be a freshwater thank. I would like to plant the tank, unless lighting is unbelievably expensive. I have 3 angels, 2 gouramis and 2 corys I can transfer from another tank, then I would add some new fish, undecided as to what yet. OR I was considering not transfering and starting a cichlid tank.

If I were you, I would add additional filtration beyond the Penguin (or whatever the under cabinet filter is.

Don't toss either one because more filtration is never a bad thing. I have 3 HOB filters on my 75 gallon

I think you need to get more info on this under the cabinet filter. A make/model will sufice.

Ok, I just heard back from the guy. It's an under cabinet filter, Duval 340. Is this good?

I use a the same peguin on my 55 fw tank and it works fine. The water stays very still, if thats something that matters to your fish. The water is crystal clear, always.

Back
Top Bottom