Used MH setup look ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aquamedic is a good brand, the only problem I see is the bracing on the tank you might get.

I believe once they get to 6ft tanks the plastic rim has 2 braces, and having those 150w halides right on them will make them extremely hot. I don't think it'll be hot enough to melt them, but I just worry about the heat hurting the integrity of the bracing

I was going to ask him questions about the bracing, I don't want to hang the fixture, I have vaulted ceilings. I want a unit that I can mount right on the tank... I can't tell if this one does.

Or do you mean the center braces? ive seen them with one adn two depends on the manufactuer. I may end up buying new.
Not sure yet.

I'm sure you know if you buy new to get one with built-in overflows right? Best option you could have.

I was meaning the center bracing, I'm not worried about it hanging on the sides, if it comes with brackets then you're good. If not, you'll have to buy some. I don't think you could just sit it on top of the tank, but I may be wrong

I am for sure getting overflows in my big tank! And a sump too! LOL

In looking at this fixture I don't see mention of what lights would be my blues....Woudl I need a different fixture for that? MH only comes in white light correct? Stupid question, I know....hehe

You can get them in 20000K is the blue-est I've seen I think. I'm sure you could get 22000K though for like the 150w for a nice blue.

I know I ask alot of questions, sorry, but would that high a bulb replicate a aetnic bulb? I would want the blue white I have now. Also, don't corals need that 420 blue light to grow? or would the MH be more than enough for them to grow?

Thanks for answering my questions. Lights baffle me. :-D

Yeah it would be fine. I know ryshark had T5HO actinic support with 2 MH and ended up using bluer bulbs on his MH so he didn't have to use to the T5s to save energy. Definitely saw no negative effects from it.

And in case you didn't know Ushio and Phoenix are good MH bulb brands

Back
Top Bottom